Author Topic: Do you pt/shsh if they aren't crying?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Do you pt/shsh if they aren't crying?
« on: October 05, 2005, 18:07:39 pm »
I put DD down sometimes and she decides it isn't nap time and she's going to talk.  So I just hand her the paci and leave.  I don't have to stay in there and do pt/shush right because she's not crying?  What I've been doing is going in every so often to replace the paci which she spits out so she can talk.  And then I leave.  It takes a while, but I just want to make sure I'm not supposed to be staying in there with her the whole time?

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 18:27:06 pm »
I'm not quite the expert on this that many of the mom's are, but I don't stay in the room if my lo isn't crying.  I leave and just listen for her, if she's just "fussing" I leave her go, but if she cries, that's when I intervene.  I found that if she wasn't crying but I was doing the pat/sh thing, it just stimulated her and she couldn't fall asleep.  It may take her 20 minutes to fall asleep, but she can do so quietly and I think it's fine to let them settle themselves if they're not crying.
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)

Offline Charlie's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 20:10:03 pm »
I agree-don't go in the room unless she is crying out or on the verge of crying out.  I even question whether it is necessary to go in and replace the pacifier.  If she is happy, let her wind herself down.  Sounds like you are on the right track.
Jeri
Charlie 8/16/03 textbook/refluxer
Sawyer 7/24/05 touchy/refluxer