Author Topic: woken up in nap by brother.... getting back to sleep  (Read 1977 times)

Offline fireball3316

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
woken up in nap by brother.... getting back to sleep
« on: October 06, 2005, 00:00:30 am »
hi - i have a 7 week old girl, and a 3.5 yr old boy... just started reading BW but up to now have done routine - kinda :0)  definately do the EASY schedule...  eva fed at 11am, and was in bed after play at 12noon.  now it is 12.50 and she was woken up 10 mins ago by big brother... and have tried pu/pd and dummy and such, but she usually doesnt go back to sleep after been woken mid nap... help.... suggestions...
Mum to Caleb - aged 3.5, and Evangeline, aged 6 weeks :0) living in New Zealand :0)

Offline Liz R

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
broken naps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 09:46:32 am »
hi, Where does she sleep? Is it possible to put her into your room/ nursery and keep you other little one occupied downstairs/ somewhere else?It may not be your son as such, don't forget babies have a 45 min sleep cycle, she may be in a lighter sleep so anything would wake her.
This happened during the summer holidays for me as Jake has two older sisters, who have lots of noisy friends!
I sometimes found myself having to do e.a.s....then some quiet activity for 1/2 hr is, then....s again, but always woke him for next feed.
This will happen for one reason or another alot, don't get hung up on it.
Liz x

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel
Ellie   18/11/1997 Spirited
Jacob 09/07/2005 Spirited

Offline fireball3316

• Showing Appreciation 0
thanks - so it is okay to start again the eas cycle
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 19:04:35 pm »
so it is okay to restart the cycle?  i sound like i have no idea what i am doing eh...  (tired brain, i even put the marmite in the dishwasher last night instead of the pantry!)

i think she does have about a 45 min cycle, as when she does sleep she does awaken make a wee cry and then settle herself - she even did it last night, was in bed from 10.30 and awoke at 3am, but settled back to sleep after a few happy noises and slept until 6am yay! 

i do try to keep big brother away from that end of the house when eva is in bed sleeping - but her own room is beside the toilet - just the layout of our house... so no way of totally avoiding....  he is learning to be quieter though :o)

so should i let her cry first for a while (with comforting her every 5-10 mins) to see if she can go back to sleep.  i did get her up yesterday - she woke at 12.50 and i got her up at 1.50 - she wasnt showing hunger cues really, so sat with her for 5 mins and then fed her - did e. a and s...  no time for Y yesterday at all :o(

thanks for your reply.
Mum to Caleb - aged 3.5, and Evangeline, aged 6 weeks :0) living in New Zealand :0)

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 20:45:59 pm »
Hi, I would work on pat/shshing her back to sleep if she wakes rather than doing controlled crying (the 5-10min intervals).   

Also, my dd used to wake with the house noises and her big brother, but after about 2-3mths she got used to his noises and isn't as likely to be woken by them (apparently when we sleep our ears are tuned in for "normal" noises that occur and it's the abnormal ones that wake us - just like how people get used to traffic noise).

My ds knows he's not to go down that end of the house while she's sleeping or to be quiet and walk slowly if he has to go downn there.

Offline fireball3316

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 22:21:30 pm »
can u explain a bit more about the pat shush method.  after 5-10 mins i go in and pick her up and do comfort her with a back rub and shusshing and she stops crying immediately (she is very relational) and then when i put her down she cries after about 2 seconds.  she is a very good sleeper usually.  looking forward to your reply.  tahnks heaps

Offline fireball3316

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 22:26:55 pm »
can u explain a bit more about the pat shush method.  after 5-10 mins i go in and pick her up and do comfort her with a back rub and shusshing and she stops crying immediately (she is very relational) and then when i put her down she cries after about 2 seconds.  she is a very good sleeper usually.  looking forward to your reply.  tahnks heaps

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 08:12:45 am »
Well when you hear her stirring and it doesn't seem that she's going to fall back into another sleep cycle you respond before she starts to cry and begin patting her (Tracy recommends patting on the back - roll baby to her side and pat back and then lie back down on her back when asleep) and shsh.  I always found patting on the shoulder worked just as well.  This could take a good 20mins or so for her to resettle.  The PU/PD method isn't recommended for a baby under 3mths old as it can be too stimulating.

The other option to get past the 45min wake ups is to go into your babies room prior to the wake up, observe her for stirring awake and begin your rhythmic patting which will hopefully get her to resettle without waking.

Check out the Special Sleep Interview at the top of the General Sleep forum for more info.

Here are a few links as well:

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/pat-shush-for-babies-under-three-months-old-vt26671.html

Offline Liz R

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
broken naps
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 12:29:02 pm »
hi, I don't know if its"ok" to restart the cyle, but its what I find myself doing occasionally. I do use the shush pat method as described above, but somtimes he just lies there laughing and I know he could do with watching the washing machine, or something equally as boring for a bit!

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel
Ellie   18/11/1997 Spirited
Jacob 09/07/2005 Spirited

Offline fireball3316

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 04:28:37 am »
i dont think i have the luxury of styaing in her room doing that for 20-30mins... with a preschooler how do u manage that?   are u meant to stay pating and shshhing for the whole time they are unsettled - like the other day she woke up 1.5 hour before due time (3.5 hour schedule) and cried for most of that time....

i have been rubbing her head when unsettled which works for us - she often in a cycle does wake up do a short 1 min talk/grizzle/cry then resettle.  i dont go into her then.

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 04:35:19 am »
Well I decided to just live with the one 45min nap that my dd does.  It's not a problem now, but when she was younger I'd just get her up and deal with it, if she got tired again I'd put her down for a little catnap later and wake her for her feed.  If she did a 45min nap in the afternoon I worked on extending that one since my 2.5yr old is still having a nap - so I always extended it and it's paid off and she'll now sleep for 2-2.5hrs the same as my ds.

Offline fireball3316

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 04:45:44 am »
thanks for the great replies and advice.

so if your wee one was woken up - or woke up and wouldnt settle u just started again and tried again later in the day with the sleeping???  just to clarify :o)

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 04:54:46 am »
That's right.  So for example she was on a 3hr eating cycle, would maybe wake up at 7am, be ready for a nap at 8am - would sleep until 8.45, I'd get her up if she wasn't going to settle - she wasn't due a feed until 10am so I'd keep her up until about 9.30 and put her down for another nap (what I actually did was put her in the front pack so she went off to sleep straight away - not really BW, but it got us through that stage until she was old enough to handle a longer awake time) and then woke her around 10am for her feed and carried on with the day.

Offline fireball3316

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 20:16:43 pm »
after getting her up after the 45mins? 

eva is doing great - sleeping from 10.30 pm to 6.30am 3 days in a row.  yay. 

i guess u jsut have good days adn bad days eh - i think i have just hit the tired point (eva 7 weeks old) where i need to get back on a multi vitamen thing, and afer 2 weeks of kindy holiday....  and 4 weeks of been up from 4.30am...

i see u are in nz - me too - in auckland...

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 20:28:22 pm »
No, in fact with both my kids we struggled with 45min naps until they hit 5-6mths so I always had activity before eating.  I tried to stick with EASY strictly with Nathan and he ended up being on a 2hr eating cycle yet he wasn't actually hungry for it.  It does work out fine once they get a little older and the eating times don't coincide with sleeping etc.  It can take a bit of juggling, but by 3mths it all comes together.

Like you say, you get the good days with the bad.

Offline fireball3316

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 04:58:14 am »
you experience and answers - it helps to make it more relaxed.  i really like structure in my life - helps with everything - but i know i need to LET GO of wanting it to be perfect and structured...  is good to see how people have made it work for their life. 

i know the benefits of routine/structure - and have seen people that have tried it and then done "accidnetal" parenting which digs a huge hole for them!  didnt want to be setting myself up for a fall :o)

thanks again