Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Kbarrali

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 06, 2005, 15:00:14 pm »
Our almost 9 month old Abraham has been sleeping with us and nursing to sleep for his whole life. For naps I nurse him to sleep. When his father looks after him, he has a tougher time getting him down but usually walks around with him and then transfers him to the co-sleeper once he is asleep.

Abe is a pretty spirited child, though typically very good natured and happy. He doesn't ever whimper, he's either totally happy or crying pretty hard-he doesn't really have an in-between cry that doesn't sound desperate. His mantra cry most always escalates into full fledged screaming.

We are ready for a change. We have a crib and Abraham has been playing in it all week. Tomorrow is Friday and we want to get started...

We are stuck though on drawing our game plan. I don't know if because he is so trained to sleep with me if I should just stop it cold turkey for naps and nightime or if I should ease him in with naps only and then work on the nightime.

I want this to be effective and do not want him confused yet I also don't want to traumatize him so that he's not receptive at all to the change.

I realize we may be in for a couple weeks of hard work and am ready for it, I just need some advice on getting started and drawing up our plan.

Thanks in advance for your help, everyone.

Kristin, Abraham's mom

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 19:13:55 pm »
hi,

here are a couple of things you can read to help you sort out a game plan.

http://babywhisperer.com/forum/pu-pd-for-3-month-old-info-from-consult-with-tracy-vt9287.html

http://babywhisperer.com/forum/a-special-sleep-interview-with-tracy-hogg-vt451.html

the main thing is to decide what you are going to do, and then stick with it.  consistency will make it much less traumatic for your lo, and he will learn what to expect from you.  you are correct - you are in for some hard work, but the payoff is so worth it. 

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy