Author Topic: Breastfeeding 10day old baby  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Jemma23

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 06, 2005, 15:35:34 pm »
Hi

I'm new to this forum, i have a 1year old girl called Grace and my friend has just had a baby girl 10days ago.

Her little one wants to feed every 2hours (day and night) and she is getting exhausted.  She wants to know of any tips she can do to increase the amount of time during feeds as she doesn't have a chance to do anything.

When my little girl was tiny (and breastfed) i used to use a dummy to try and stretch out the time as long as possible between feeds.  But i don't want her thinking she has to starve her little one if she genuinly is hungry.  As everyone knows, you know your baby best.

Any tips on things she can do to get her to go longer?  Oh also, should she be trying to get her to feed from both breasts or just one?

Thanks

Gemma

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Breastfeeding 10day old baby
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 16:20:59 pm »
I think that every 2 hours at that age is quite normal. I remember my ds feeding that often at 10 days old. For at least the first 4 weeks, the 2 hourly intervals are the norm (well, they were for me). Their tummies are so small at that age, they need to feed that often otherwise they'll end up starving.
Also, feeding that often is the body's way of establishing milk supply and I think that is quite important.

I know I hated to hear the following, but it's true: You get used to being tired, it takes a while, but eventually you learn to manage on so little sleep. Also, it does get better. By the time baby is 3 months old, there'll be larger intervals.

Please wish your friend good luck.
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 18:27:21 pm »
It's hard to see the people we love having to go through that transition to motherhood, isn't it?  :cry:  Schae is right though - your friend must slow down. The first six weeks are about healing, taking it easy, and nursing/taking care of baby. If she needs help (getting dishes done etc) then her dh needs to kick in or she needs to call on great friends like you. My mom helped me for the first few weeks after both kids were born and I pretty much nursed, changed diapers, ate, and slept.

Eating every 2 hrs is normal. In fact, it is great for building the milk supply. I rarely see a mom who has done this in the beginning come back and say "I'm having supply issues" later.

Give your friend a hug, she is doing great by breastfeeding. Remind her to stay in bed and nap with her baby and enjoy these sleepy newborn days. All too soon she can return to her routine and have a more alert baby who goes 3 hrs or more between feeds.  :wink:  :cry:  :wink:  :cry:  It really, truly goes TOO fast.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 03:06:55 am »
I agree with both previous posters. Having a new baby changes everything and especially changes the way you are, not yourself anymore but a mother. It is hard, especially for those of us, who were used to being very independent, earning nice salaries and so on. But when you get a newborn on your hands, the only thing that becomes important is this tiny little being.

Yes, feeding every 2 hours is normal, and actually I remember that my dd was nursing even more often in first weeks. It is exhausting physically and emotionally, especially when you don't know how to handle your little bundle of joy. I remember that somewhere between 4th and 6 weeks, Anna wanted to nurse every hour in the afternoons and I just basically made a nest for us on our sofa and didn't stir from there till it was time for a bedtime for her. What helped was doing nothing but taking care of her, dh had to do everything else, and I MEAN IT.

I agree with GraceKellysmom, if she goes with a flow at the beginning, she won't have problems with a supply. I never had.

Good luck to her!