Author Topic: sleeping at nans  (Read 1094 times)

Offline ishmoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 07, 2005, 00:27:44 am »
Hi all,
  I'm new to this site and it sounds like I have a very spirited 7month old.  We have struggled big time with his naps from day one and have finally sort of got onto some sort of routine, our little one doesn't show the tired signs just goes from alert to tired in seconds.  We do use the clock for his awake times.
   I have just returned to work and his nan babysits for @5hours for 3 days a week.  The problem is I don't think she wants to put him down for his morning nap, she knows how much problems we have had etc.  He has now been awake for @ 7hours 2 days straight, how do I impress upon my mother-in-law that a nap in the morning is important.
  Our day is as follows and I've advised nan of this:
6-7am awake b'f change
8am solids & play
8:50 - 9am - start to wind down
9am in bed, usually protests for @20mins
10-11am awake b'f
12noon solids
1-2pm - settle for nap
3pm - b'f
5:30 solids
6-6:30pm bath
6:30-7:30 b'f
8pm bed
  the times alter abit depending on when he wakes etc. 

Can anyone, please, make any suggestions about how to deal with my mother-in-law and if you think our routine needs improvement.  I would appreciate it. I just get a little bit angry when I hear that he hasn't had a nap because then I have to deal with him being very overtired when I get home and sometimes just can't bear him crying. Thank you

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
sleeping at nans
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 17:40:50 pm »
I would call, ask if he's taken his nap (before you get there), and if they were "just having too much fun" I'd leave him with her (make up any excuse).  I know it sounds harsh, but she'll get a taste of what you go through with him.  I finally had to do that with my dad before he got it - don't you wish they would just take your word for it.  It's not like they didn't notice you're his mommy or anything.   I feel your frustration.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
sleeping at nans
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 18:15:16 pm »
I would also tell her, that it's important for his health that he has his naps during the day. He's young, needs to grow and he'll be a much happier baby for it.

Another thing, is she afraid of putting him down for a nap?  When someone has experienced a lot of difficulties with naps, they tend to feel anxiety around it-- I wonder if she is feeling the same thing?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004