Author Topic: Sleep problems continued for 9 months old  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Kieran_baby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleep problems continued for 9 months old
« on: October 07, 2005, 11:32:34 am »
Hi and thank you for your replies to my previous post.  We've worked on setting the bedtime routine and going to sleep finally is good!

However, we still have major problems with our DS waking up often at night, sometimes every hour or so.  Clearly he doesn't know how to soothe himself to sleep.  He never took to the pacifier and doesn't seem to care about a lovey, even though we've tried to introduce one.

First time he wakes up I breastfeed him, but when he wakes up shortly afterwards, I try not to - but still have to carry him and rock him and bf more, otherwise there is hysterical screaming.  My DH tried PU/PD, which worked once or twice, other times there was so much screaming, I couldn't help interfering.  Last night I was sitting on the floor, rocking the baby in his swinging chair, singing for about 30 minutes, after I've offered a cookie, some water and breastmilk, none of which he was very enthusiastic about, finally his eyes closed and a few minutes later I gently put him into his crib, covered him with a blankie and tiptoed out.  As soon as my tired head hit the pillow I heard cries which quickly escalated into screams and rush back to find him standing in his crib, calling for me.  This whole process repeated four times until the night was finally over.

He doesn't sleep any longer during nap times either, I worry the baby is sleep-deprived.  He is extremely active and goes through short periods of hyper play and crankiness.

What can we do to help him learn to go back to sleep on his own?  Two different doctors suggest just to let him cry, which I don't have the stomach for.  I am open to any suggestions which don't involve too much crying!  I really want my baby to sleep better!

Thanks and best of luck to all sleep-deprived out there!

Offline kendallnangie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 19:55:36 pm »
Hi, sorry about your lo. I am having some sleep  issues with my DD
(9 months) but after reading your story I should count my blessings:)

Sounds like an ear infection to me...has he had a fever? even so that doesn't always mean anything, but it has been my experience that when they cry after laying down then the pressure from the ears could be hurting... you might try taking him and having his ears checked.

about a month ago my DD was sleeping so poorly I took her to the Dr and was almost hoping she had an ear infection...just wanted a reason for her being so cranky :oops:   :lol: anyhow she was fine. my point is, it doesn't hurt to check.
Angie

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
Sleep problems continued for 9 months old
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 01:39:45 am »
Hi there,

Once you have ruled out illness and teething - you can tackle sleep training, if DS is teething then it often helps t give him something before bedtime to help with the pain.

Then on to sleep training - the best and most effective method to sleep train a nine month old is definetly PU/PD - and with a nine month old, you will be up for a fair amount of resistence and crying, but the key to PU/PD working is consistency. When you feel like you can't do it anymore - get hubby in to take over and go and take a little break.

To do PU/PD effectively for a nine month old - when DS cries for you, go to him but wait for him to stand up - babies this age often settle more quickly out of your arms, so don't pick him all the way up unless he is very upset. Instead when he stands, gently lay him back down and reassure him that its just sleepy time and place a firm had on his back whilst reassuring him with your voice.

At this age start to use your voice to reassure DS even more than before because he will understand so much. He will eventually start to run out of steam - by just sitting up instead of standing - again, as soon as he sits up, gently lay him back down and reassure him. When it looks like he is calming down and quite, take a step back so that you are out of his line of sight.

Remember that around this age, he will start to have enough memory to recall that when you leave, you do return, so with PU/PD your being there to comfort him will actually also be building his trust.

Sleep training at this age is tough - he will put up maximum resistence - its just his way of saying 'what are you doing Mum, we don't usually go to sleep like this' remember that he has had 9 months of learning to be rocked/fed to sleep, so expect some tears of frustration and DH on board to help when you feel like caving in.

Good luck
Dee
x

Offline Kieran_baby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 02:03:40 am »
Thank you for your replies.  Maddy's Mum, your advice is right on, my husband has been actually trying to do the exact thing, but I would interfere as I couldn't stand the crying.  I will do the PU/PD and be as consistent as I can.  It's probably still OK to feed him if enough time has passed since the previous feeding.  Otherwise we'll have to work harder on this, it will improve all our lives so much to have the baby sleeping better!