Author Topic: Stretching a 3 Hour EASY to a 4 Hour  (Read 1636 times)

Offline dallinsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Stretching a 3 Hour EASY to a 4 Hour
« on: October 07, 2005, 14:37:45 pm »
I need some advice; my little guy is four months old and our pediatrician said he's definetely ready to go to a four hour schedule; he weighs a healthy 16 lbs.  Well; here's the problem-he's been 'snack' eating because of reflux. However; he's on medication and now it's just habit. I stretched him to a three hour schedule; he was going about every two. But, now I'm really struggling getting to four hours.

He goes down at night between 7-8 and awakes at 7 each morning. Are four feedings a day really enough? He's exclusively breastfed. I don't dreamfeed; we started it-however he started waking for it and continued waking every two-three hours after. :( Needless to say; we stopped that practice right away.

I'm wondering if in the initial stages of going to the four hour schedule if I can give him some water to hold him over? I feel bad making him cry; but I know that in the long run it will be better for him; as he'll take full feeds, get the hindmilk and be on a more predictable schedule. Anyways; any advice would be great. Thanks ladies. :)

Offline amyangela

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.onlineshopz.com
better than mine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 17:53:55 pm »
My daughter is 3 and half month old now. She's being breast fed every 2 and half hour during the day.She's been waking up to eat 2 am every night. I wonder how can your boy sleep through the night without waking up to eat?
Everything is a blessing.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 18:50:13 pm »
My baby never went to a 4 hr schedule until he was 8 months old. He was a big boy too, and slept well (most of the time  :wink: ) at night.

If you are happy with the way things are, and he is sleeping so well for you then WHY CHANGE IT??? Don't you know your baby better than his doctor? (Who may or may not know much about breastfeeding?) Go to a 4 hr schedule when he is ready. And please don't give him water - that will just hurt your supply.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline DeannaB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 19:55:24 pm »
Personally, and I'm not a doctor, but I'm more comfortable for us to stay at 5 feedings for a pretty good while.  I think I kept my dd at 5 til she was eating a ton of solids and all her spit up told me she was overeating then I went down to 4 hours/4 feeds prob closer to 8mos.  I'd just rather over feed my baby a lil than leave them hungry at any point.  I like to know for sure that when my ds cries it is not for food, but some other reason and leaves me from the guessing game.  My 3 mo is a big boy and goes 10-11 hours at night and eats 5 times a day and is a very happy lil guy.  I don't see our routine changing from that at all til he's well into solids.

Good luck if you do decide to go to 4 hours!   :)
Zachary 9/22/01  Kalla 7/21/03
Micah 6/29/05   Maressa 2/13/07

Visit my BLOG

annamum

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 21:57:55 pm »
I have to agree with previous posters. Routine is for a sake of parents but a baby has to be also taken into a consideration. If he is not ready for 4 hour schedule then don't force him into it. It works much better for breastfed babies when they start solids, then they get additional nutrition from that. At that point, feeding every 3 hours should not feel as a lot if you compare it to every 2 hours where he used to be until recently.

Also, are you always able to be without food and drink for 4 hours, do you always get hungry at exactly the same intervals? Probably not, that's why I would suggest waiting with a 4 hour schedule until he is a little bit older, especially if he is so great sleeper at night. My dd was not on 3 hour schedule till she was something like 4 months old and we never really went into a 4 hour thing. She never slept well, so I would say, you have a baby that many moms would dream to have  :lol:

BTW, I really have very low opinion on pediatricians as they rarely know anything sensible about breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is not the same thing as formula feeding, there are different dynamics to that. Suggesting to put a breastfed baby on a 4 hour schedule will work if the baby is cooperative but not because of his age or weight.