Author Topic: How to get baby sleeping exclusively in swing to crib??  (Read 1262 times)

Offline caidensmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to get baby sleeping exclusively in swing to crib??
« on: October 07, 2005, 17:52:46 pm »
I just have to start right from the beginning and tell you how we have to get my ds to sleep for every nap and to bed every night.

First we swaddle in the miracle blanket.  On comes the white noise.  Then we have to bounce him on an exercise ball WHILE we feed him a bottle.  Once he's asleep (this can take up to an hour) we have to set him in his swing and pray he doesn't wake up.  Then he swings on high until he decides it's time to get up. 

This process worked beautifully for a while.  He was sleeping up to 8 hours at a time.  I truly thought we had it all figured out and then a couple days ago he just stopped sleeping!  He will not nap during the day...he's such a bear to get down.  Then as soon as you set him down he wakes up and cries.  Or he will only sleep for 20 min and then wake up crying and we start all over.  He's waking up more during the night now and is more difficult to get back to sleep that before.  It's like he doesn't like the swing anymore but he will not sleep anywhere else.  We have not changed a thing in our routine so I don't know what's happened to make him revert back to this sleeping pattern.  I am constantly watching for sleep signs and putting him down the instant he appears tired. It's just that when I try to put him down he won’t have it!  It takes up to 6 or 7 times just for a 20 minute nap. 

He's already 20 pounds and will soon be too big for this swing.  I want to get him in his crib ASAP.  He's never slept a day in it but sometimes I'll put him there to play or look at his mobile.  I have NO CLUE how to get him from sleeping all the time in his swing to sleeping in his crib not swinging.  Any help is much appreciated.   :? 

Offline sandraorion

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 18:16:43 pm »
How old is your little one? What was his schedule before everything fell apart? How is he eating?

As general, try to make a plan and stick to it. Maybe have him nap couple of times in your arms so that he get used to the idea of not sleeping in the motion. Then start putting him in the crib once he is asleep. Be there for him and then gradually leave. Then start putting him in the crib when drowsy but awake.

Or you can start putting him in the crib right away and do PUPD or pat and shush depeding on his age. Depends on your comfort level and your lo's temperament.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline caidensmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 20:06:35 pm »
My ds is a little over 3 months old.  We don't really have a set schedule for the day, I do usually try to give him a bath right at 7:00 every night, then feed, swaddle, bounce and sleep-in the swing of course.  Someone gave me some advice to start his day at the same time every morning, even if it means setting the alarm.  He needs to be up at 7:00 so I've decided to wake him then and feed him every day at that time.  At least that's a start.  I hope it will help lay out a better schedule for him during the day.  I want to regulate his naps so he knows when it's time for sleep, play, etc. 

My main goal is to get him out of that swing though.  I'm going to stick with the schedule and try to get him to nap in my arms like you said.  Also, when he went down for a nap about....wow, it's been 30 minutes ago, I left one arm out of the swaddle.  To my surprise, he seemed to like it.  So far so good! 

I'm so glad I found this site....what a lifesaver!! 

Offline Missy Norment

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 19:40:52 pm »
Have you had him diagnosed???  My baby has silent GERD which is Gastro Esophageal Reflux without a lot of spitting up.  He would only sleep in his swing or in his car seat for about 3 months.  It was a nightmare trying to get him to sleep.  We finally had him diagnosed and with some medicine is 100% better.  Also, we tried a hammock from Australia that literally saved our lives!  We could put him down in it awake and he would fall asleep 10 minutes later which he NEVER did.  I could not do the PU/PD method with him.

Anyway, now he's transitioned into a crib ( a tummy sleeper which we did not know either).  So if you'd like to talk more, let me know.  I feel your pain.