Author Topic: What to Expect Best Odds for Toddlers  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
What to Expect Best Odds for Toddlers
« on: October 07, 2005, 22:06:33 pm »
Are they nuts?  I just got this book, and before I felt like I was doing a darn good job at feeding my daughter a nutritious diet.  I felt like getting  2-3 veggies of any kind and 2-3 fruits, as well as whole grains, beans, and dairy into my girl was doing pretty well.  Well, here's what their telling me:

-4 toddler servings of protein (1/2 cup yogurt, 3 Tblspns cottage cheese, 2 oz tofu, 1 egg, 3/4 oz hard cheese) (we're vegetarians, so I'm ignoring the meat)

-4 toddler servings calcium (2/3 cup milk, 1/2 cup yogurt (they say plain only--  haha), 3/4 oz hard cheese

-2 or more toddler servings of vitamin c foods (1/2 and orange, 1/4 cup broccoli (as if!), 1 small tomato, etc.)

-2 or more toddler servings of green leafy and yellow veggies and yellow fruits (1/4 small carrot, 1/2 tablspn pumpkin puree (pretty easy), 1 tblspn sweet potato (no problem),  1/2 cup cooked broccoli (I'd like to see them try!)

-1-2 other fruits and veggies (this is the category for bananas, applesauce, pears, peas, grapes, blueberries-- you know, all the fruits and veggies that toddlers actually like!)

-6 or more toddler servings of whole grains (1/4 cup cooked grain, 1/2 slice whole wheat bread, 1/4 oz whole-grain pasta, 1/4 cup cooked beans or lentils) (Even though I give almost exclusively whole grains, we are nowhere near this amount)

Are they completely bonkers?  In order to fill this, I would have to feed my daughter a diet consisting eeclusively of yogurt (the sweetened kind, which I cut half-and-half with plain), string cheese, pasta with my sneaky veggie sauce, oranges, cheerios at all hours of the day, and sweet potato puree or butternut squash soup.  With the occasional banana, bowl of applesauce,  or quatered grape thrown in for a treat).  I hope they mean this as some kind of goal to keep striving to meet but never actually getting there, to keep you aiming high.  'Cause it ain't gonna happen in this lifetime.  If I get in a fruit and a whole grain, at breakfast, some dairy at snack, a veggie or two, a grain and and a protein at lunch, some fruit and milk at pm snack, smoe grains, protein, fruit and veggie at dinner, I fell like I'm doing a great job.

KWIM?
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline rachelle

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 22:15:45 pm »
ha yeah, fruit definitely isn't a problem here, nor is the dairy, grain, etc...protien is iffy, and veggies...well, I'm lucky to get 1 serving in her in a week!  And that includes being sneaky!
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline claytonsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 01:02:34 am »
I hate those 'what to expect' books when it comes to food.  They are really militant and a little off the charts for my taste... as if all pregnant women and toddlers are going to not eat oreos and will opt for yummy plain yogurt with unsweetened fruit puree.... yeah, right after I eat my whole wheat grainy pancakes with no syrup...

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 01:04:12 am »
LOL, whenever I come across that page in my book, I have a look, realised we no where near hit what they suggest and close it very quickly!  :lol:

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 01:48:37 am »
It IS ridiculous, isn't it?? :lol:

Just looking at that made me cringe :?

I think my ds eats pretty darn healthy...we offer no sweets (except he DOES get the occasional cookie at Grandma's house!), and no chips.  Obviously no soda at this age, and all of his "snacks" are either real food or Gerbers, as they have no preservatives, artificial colors or artificial flavors(most of them). 

We all know what a balanced meal is supposed to be.  Doesn't mean that WE personally follow it, but we do know. :wink:   I think those kinds of "rules" just set us up to be even more neurotic than we already are as parents, and establish an "automatic failure" when we can't achieve their "GOALS" :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 03:40:18 am »
I would be cooking all day to fulfill that!!
carolyn
John's mommy :-)