Author Topic: Dreamfeed help  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Tyler's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 08, 2005, 09:11:44 am »
I am a new Mum to a nearly 5 week old beautiful boy - Tyler.  I am just starting the EASY method and have a question regarding the Dreamfeed.  Ty goes down at night about 8 or 9 depending on how his reflux/wind is affecting him and I try to give him his 'dreamfeed' at either 10 or 11 but so far he won't take my breast as he is so fast asleep.  Should I wake him to give him this feed if he won't take it whilst asleep.  Overnight he usually sleeps 4 hours and then 3 hours and then 3 hours.  Thanks for any help.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Dreamfeed help
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 09:23:03 am »
Sounds like he is right on track for a 5 week old (feeding approx 12/1am and then 3-4am before a breakfast feed at 6-7am)  I would suggest you experiment with different times until you find what works - if you put him down at 8 - try 10 or 10:30 and if he is not starting to suck leave him and try again at 10:30 and if necessary 11 until you find when he IS receptive to DF  i also suggest you see the breastfeeding board for tips on doing the DF with BFing as you could find some tricks to get him roused enough to BF without waking him fully

You might be able to figure out how long he needs after bedtime feed - maybe he goes down at 8 and MAYBE 2 1/2 hrs is ideal so if he goes down at 9 one night and at 11 he won't take it, i don't think it would be terrible if you try again a little later (as 2 1/2 hrs woudl be 11:30 that night) for now since he is getting up for night feeds anyway. 

When he is a little older and down to 1 night feed try to ensure that you feed by 11pm so that as per BW, between DF + night feed he is still hungry in the morning.  HTH
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified