Author Topic: Help with Nighwakings/sleeping through the night..pls  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Help with Nighwakings/sleeping through the night..pls
« on: September 26, 2005, 17:04:59 pm »
HELP! Hah....I've been meaing to write this post for a few days now. My DS has recently changed his night routine. He has ALWAYS woken up at least once between 1-4am to eat as well as get changed. In the not so distant past, his routine was pretty much like this: bed 8 pm dream feed 11 pm wake up @ 4-4:30 am for feeding, and then back to sleep until 7 am. I have not changed anything as far as bed time goes, or the dream feed........but now @ around 1:45-2:00 am he is waking up wanting to eat--and he does eat 3-4 ounces--then sometimes wants to stay awake, then he is up for the day @ 6am--which doesnt work well. My husband and I both try to get him back to sleep, but it doesn't work. I tried waking @ 1:50 to soothe him to sleep, beforehe fully awoke, but it turned into a screaming fest, and he apparently wanted to eat. Any one have any suggestions about ANY of this? Id like to have him sleep through the night, but if not, Id like him moreso to wake up @ 7 am rather than 6 am!
Thanks I wonder too..if he maybe isnt getting enough ounces during the day to keep him satisfied..since he will only take about 4ounces every 3 hours--and weight gain is not a problem....
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 10:06:36 am »
Hi - i have moved this to the nightwakings board in the hope that a NW moderator or other member can help you here.

good luck,
deb
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline georgia's mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 00:29:37 am »
hi, i havent' had too much experience with this but my girlfriend does so i'll send her this post.  she basically weaned her little guy off of the night feed gradually (going down by 3 minute intervals) and it worked like a charm.  does he have any solids yet?  maybe you're right and he needs more during the day.  i do know though that it tracey's book it daies say that a baby who ways 10 lbs or more and is healthy should not need to get up for a feed during the night and to check their daytime food intake if they wake hungry.  wish i could help more but i wanted to reply since you've had this up for a bit. :)
loving my baby girl

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 23:13:52 pm »
Hi!!  We did the following with our little guy but he was only 3 months when we did it..hopefully it will work for you!

On the first night, I would only let him nurse for 7 minutes...then I would take him off.  Yes, he would be upset but I would hold him through it..he cried for abot 3 min but it felt longer.  The next night I only let him nurse for about 5 minutes and the third night about 3 minutes.  He never woke up to nurse again! :D  :D  :D  It is recommended one minute less per night over a week but 3 nights worked for us.

This strategy can be used with bottle feeding, too!   You're supposed to reduce an ounce or half an ounce every night until the bottle is empty.

I hope this helps!!
Let  us know what happens!!
Zelka

Offline Intransit

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 22:51:22 pm »
Thank you for the advice! I shall try this tonight0--right now he takes 4 ounces so Ill try to lessen it 1/2 an ounce tonight.
*Sarah*

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 21:19:05 pm »
how did you get on . Did it work i'm interested to know?

Let us know what you did.

Offline Intransit

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 13:51:21 pm »
Thanks to everyone for your replies etc...At this point it seems his 2AM waking is just a habit, and he is not in fact hungry. The pacifier has worked majority of the time--Thank God. He still wakes up @ 3-4 Am..but I dont mind this so much, since he will eat 4ounces at this time and then go back to sleep until 7am. I have however, started lessening the amount of formula at night--but got a bit off track---back on last night---3.5oz last night, and then 3 tonight. He wasn't all that happy about it but after a bit of a cry he went to sleep fairly easily. As for the amount during the day.....not up to 30oz a day, thats for sure. Yesterday was 21--I have started keeping a log on how many ounces he eats a day, as well as his cereal. He has just started eating 5-5.5 ounces per feeding so fingers crossed! Sorry so long!
*Sarah*

Offline Intransit

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 20:25:45 pm »
So, for the past 3 nights my son has woken between 1-2 am, and after re-inserting the paci he goes back to sleep till 5 or so--which impresses me. It seems he doesnt need the 2 am feeding anymore( I did decrease the amount as suggested by someone a few days ago--THANK YOU!!!) and as a result things are better.
*Sarah*

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 23:15:37 pm »
I'm glad that lessening the amount has been working....I hope your good luck continues!!

Zelka