Author Topic: Talking instead of napping  (Read 1264 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Talking instead of napping
« on: October 08, 2005, 16:27:36 pm »
How long do you think I should let it go on before intervening.  Sometimes she'll go right down for a nap, othertimes she will seem to get drowsy when I hold her then I put her down, she spits the paci out and starts babbling.  At the moment she's been doing it for almost 15 minutes.  I'm just wondering if I should unswaddle her and try for a nap in a few minutes, or intervene in some other way or if I should just leave her.  What if she talks for hours?

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 18:29:45 pm »
Remember.. it's all a learning process for them.

First, make sure the room environment is conducive for sleep-- dark and no stimulation. 

When you lie her down, if she is drowsy, give her time to settle to sleep on her own. For many babies, it can take up to 20 mins. Some will chat away, others will just stare.  Give her a chance to find her way to settle to sleep. If she starts to fuss and get upset, and appears she needs support, then go in and help her.

I know it's overwhelming and anxiety ridden.. I've been there. But give her the opportunity to self-settle. It's all apart of learning. :wink:
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 01:54:02 am »
Thanks, I will do that.  Sometimes it's worked, sometimes not.  Who knows.