Author Topic: Seperation Anxiety  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: October 08, 2005, 22:57:28 pm »
My dd is at the early stages of seperation anxiety and I have heard from other mom's who nursed that they believe it is worse in bf babies.  Did you guys have this, and what did you do to make it through this time?  Also, how did you know whether your lo actually needed you or were just crying so that you would come back into the room?
TIA
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Seperation Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 00:21:31 am »
I don't know if it's worse in bf babies...some people say the opposite too!  To get through it, we played lots of peek a boo to reinforce the idea of object permance (remind her that even when you can't SEE things, they are still there).  When she's on the floor and fussing, I try to come down to her level to comfort/distract, rather than always picking her up - can't always be "rescued" that way.  When I leave her sight, I talk to her or sing, so she's reminded that I'm still around.  Works pretty well for daytime.  I notice your lo is about 6 months. I found separation anxiety came and went for a while at that age, but for some moms it comes back with a vengeance after one year old for a while!

As for nighttime...I'm not a good one to ask.  My lo still frequently ends up sleeping for the last part of the night/morning with me... :oops:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Seperation Anxiety
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 00:28:15 am »
I LOL when I read your post!  :lol:  No offense!  :wink:

I've only had bf babies, and yes they get sep anxiety like all other babies. I don't think its worse or any better for any category of "how they are fed" babies.

Around 6 months old, babies realize that they aren't part of you. And that you go away. Tracy has a section about this in her first book, if I'm remembering correctly. She talks about ways to help them understand that you're still there. Helping them play independently with you in the same room is a big step, being able to step out of the room and peeking back around the corner helps. Talking to them so they know you're still there when you leave, that type of thing. It usually peaks around 8 months and then they get real independent.

They go through another bout of sep anxiety around 10 months to a year.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 01:26:05 am »
Thank you for the input!  My dd has always played independently and had "alone" time since she was 3-4 months old (supervised of course!).  I will start trying the great ideas that you have and will step up the peek-a-boo play!

BTW, Happy Birthday Megan!!!! :P
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05