Author Topic: Help with Shh/pat PLEASE!!  (Read 901 times)

Offline melissamarieallan@yahoo.c

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 09, 2005, 01:34:02 am »
Joey is 9 wks old.  Once we get him to sleep, he usually does great (he'll go 5-8 hrs thru the night).  However, getting him to sleep is the major problem.  I'm watch him very well during the activity stage and look for the "window".  This is usually only 15 min after he's been fed.  I then take him to his room, swaddle him (which he hates!) and he then has a hysterical crying meltdown.  He will cry while doing the shh/pat method for anywhere between 10 and 60 min.  There's no calm stage.  He literally is crying himself to sleep.  What more can we do?  We've tried this method for 5 days so far.  I'm trying to be patient, but it's difficult.  Please help and advise!!!
melissa marie allan

Offline jayne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 02:35:08 am »
hi melissa

if he gets so wound up when you swaddle maybe you should try to at least leave his arms out.. when gina was that young i swaddled but left her arms out and put her in a side sleeper and did pat/shush that way..

what does his day look like??do you do a winddown routine before you swaddle and put to bed??

would like to help just give a few more details please :D
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline Kherzy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 03:58:58 am »
My 10 week old has been known to do the exact same thing.  I leave her arms out and give her a blanket to hold onto (otherwise she'll grab the paci or swat it out of her mouth).  When she gets real worked up I find that she isn't too fond of the pat/shush.  I try just shushing or just patting and often I just have to lay her down, it's as if she's saying "enough all ready, get me to bed!"  Then in the crib I pat or shush or sing or whatever was finally showing the smallest sign of working to help calm her and I leave her to fall asleep.  If she is overtired and overstimulated she prefers to just be left alone.  Good luck!
Kate