Author Topic: standing up instead of sleeping...what to do?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline sunnysideup850

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
standing up instead of sleeping...what to do?
« on: October 09, 2005, 19:29:15 pm »
8 month old DS just learned to crawl and about two days later learned to pull up on things.  This morning I found him standing in his crib for the first time after his morning nap.  He is presently sitting in his crib crying because he keeps either sitting up or standing in his crib and therefore is not sleeping.  I've already gone in there once, didn't make eye contact and laid him back down.  But he's up again clinging to the crib bars.  It's so sad to see!

Am I doing the right thing here?

And all of a sudden there's all of this crying before naps.  I think it's because he gets in there and the timing is right, but after all of the sitting and standing he's overtired by the time the nap actually starts.  Please tell me he'll get used to his new abilities and be able to nap normally again.

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
standing up instead of sleeping...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 07:08:57 am »
Yes he will, please try no to worry. It is a bit of a slog, but it does get better and the best thing you can do is stay calm. i got so cross sometimes, but its not their fault and not yours either!!!

You are doing the right thing, I went in first and said its nap/betime and lay her back down, but then after that, no interation. Sometimes it can take up to an hour to get them down. try not to let him cry, go in as soon as he's distressed and lay him back down, use PU/PD techniques, and leave the room everytime.

Does he know how to sit back down from standing and to lay himself down from sitting. These are far more diff skills than getting up in the firt place!! When you go in try to lay him dwon in the way he would get down himself and practice lots of sitting from standing and laying down when you're playing.

Hang in there!!! Kxxxx
Kimberley