Author Topic: Need help with schedule/weaning for 10 month old  (Read 1675 times)

Offline jaxnp

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Need help with schedule/weaning for 10 month old
« on: October 10, 2005, 03:38:37 am »
Hi all, dd is 10 months still nursing 6 times a day.  Her current schedule is:

4am ish
7am
10am (after nap)
1 pm (before nap)
4 or 5 pm
8 pm (before bed)

She doesn't want to let go of any of these feedings, so I'm not sure where to go from here.  How many should she have at this point, and any suggestions on scheduling?  I'm not planning on weaning her at 1 year, but I would like to have her down to 3 feedings or so by then.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 03:53:53 am »
Hi K

Max consolodated those 3 afternoon nursings into two (after naps), and finally stopped waking at 4ish. That got him down to 4 total around a year. I started feeding him three meals per day somewhere around 10-11 months and that helped.

It helps when their schedule changes a little - their nap times change and the solids increase. Max dropped to one nap around a year (too early but I had to do it to preserve them napping together). Since then he has dropped to 1/2 nursings per day. We're almost done.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 17:28:22 pm »
Megan had closer to 4 or 5 feeds at that age...well, still pretty much does!  When with me (not at daycare) she feeds at:
5 or 6 am -ish  (usually in bed with me  :oops: )
10:30 am (after nap)
3:30 pm (after nap)
7 pm (before bed)
Then sometimes still one waking at night too.  I found that coordinating the feeds after naps and solids at our meal times helps.  If she gets peckish at other times, I usually offer her some fruit or yogurt.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 18:18:59 pm »
Hello Katherine.  I cut back to 3 from 4 at 10 months and she is still nursing 3 times a day.  I nurse her in the am, sometime in the afternoon, and at bedtime.  Her afternoon nursing is sometimes before her nap and sometimes after, or should I say if she even will take her afternoon nap. :roll:  She has been getting 3 meals of solids since she was 7 months old though.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline jaxnp

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 20:18:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  I tried not feeding her at 10 today, and she was fine, but got really cranky around 11 and stayed cranky until I finally fed her at 12.  Maybe she needs a more substantial snack at that time?  Stacy, what was Max's nursing and nap schedule at that age before he went to one nap?

Offline Melissa (Sydney's Mommy)

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 22:37:16 pm »
Trenton is 11 months, and our routine is almost identical to Erin's. 

Katherine, what if you cut out the 1:00 bf and moved the next one (currently 4 or 5 pm) earlier?  That may be easier than eliminating the mid-morning one first.  Maybe that mid-afternoon bf could coincide with snacktime?  Just a thought.
--Melissa

Sydney, born September 2002

Trenton, born November 2004

Samuel, born November 2007