Author Topic: Going on Trip- cup or bottle?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Going on Trip- cup or bottle?
« on: October 09, 2005, 12:47:24 pm »
Hi everyone!

I am going on my first trip away from little Eirwen.  I will be gone two nights.  She will be 9 months by that time.  My best friend is still battling ovarian cancer and has made it a year after a complete hysterectomy and I feel I must make this trip to see her.  She needs my support and we need to have some fun!!! 

My dd is a wonderful nurser now.  I am so happy with our nursing relationship.  After a scare that she was weaning a month ago- but was just teething, I am a little nervous about going away from her.  She doesn't really have too much separation anxiety and I can leave her to play alone for increasingly long periods.

She takes the bottle just fine (Avent, #4 nipples) from my husband and we have also been giving her the sippy cup tops too which she can even drink from on her own.

Should we use the bottle nipple while I am gone or use the cup spout? Will two nights be enough for her to wean?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

annamum

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 17:06:26 pm »
Sorry to hear about your friend's cancer.

Is there a chance you can take Eiwen with you on this trip? Nursing babies are more portable than bottle fed, most of the time  :wink: , as long as you are comfortable nursing in public.

Anyway, I doubt she would wean herself in two days. If you are confident in your dh parenting skills and prefer her to stay home where she has a consistent bedtime, he can offer her a sippy cup if she would take it for every meal. That way she will know dh is for sippy cups and mom for breast.

HTH

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 18:22:41 pm »
Are you planning on pumping any while you are away from her.  I think as long as she is used to taking a bottle and you plan on pumping to keep your supply up she will probably be fine.  as far as bottle or cup I would use whichever one she will take better or maybe sippy at meals and bottle at bedtime.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

annamum

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 22:43:20 pm »
So, what have you decided to do?