Author Topic: Help - need to extend length of feed  (Read 1186 times)

Offline small1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Help - need to extend length of feed
« on: October 10, 2005, 12:45:24 pm »
So far I have made a real mess of getting my lo into a routine, mainly due to having 2 under 2  :oops: .  But I have now made the effort to listen to my health visitor and try to get into a routine (he is 10 weeks and had been putting on about 5/6 oz every week with me offering the breast at any and every opportunity. 

I am extending feeding to between every 2 to 3 hours, and he is regularly taking naps now, but my HV says he should be feeding for at least 20 minutes each time, and he just doesn't seem interested after about 10.  What can I do?  I wind him, I offer the other breast, and he will occassionally bob on and off, but he just isn't interested.

Any ideas anyone?  Any help or advice would be very gratefully received  :)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 17:19:56 pm »
The interesting thing about babies being expected to feed for a certain length of time...no one ever asked them!  :wink: Babies are all different.  Some feed for 20 min per side at 10 weeks, and others for 5.  If he's gaining weight well, having enough wet and dirty diapers, is alert and happy and can go 2.5-3 hrs between feeds at that age, then he's probably getting plenty. He might just be that efficient!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 22:12:05 pm »
Absolutely right, babies can nurse for 20 minutes or only 5. My dd was always super fast and would finish nursing within 5 minutes and sometimes less. She was so much in a hurry to finish so she could go and explore the world.

If your lo is able to go 2 to 3 hours, I would say he is doing really good. That only tells me he is getting enough during his "short' nursing session.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 23:25:58 pm »
my ds now 20wo has only twice gone more than 15mins a feed in his whole life. mostly he feeds about 7mins. He weighs in at a whopping 9kg(20lb) & is 72cm long... so the average size of a 9mo & he is only 4.5mo... so if your lo is gaining weight & growing, then 10mins a feed is probably his normal... 2nd babies seem to have it a bit easier in that "mums feeding shop" knows what to do & so can feed faster.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline small1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 09:10:44 am »
Thanks very much for your replies, fingers crossed that on this new routine he will gain the right amount of weight.  It is so easy to worry about feeding ....

Thanks again :D