Author Topic: how to leave the room successfully  (Read 1062 times)

Offline samjo15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how to leave the room successfully
« on: October 10, 2005, 12:57:52 pm »
my 17 month old is a light sleeper. i sit with her untill she falls asleep in her cot usually 20 - 30 mins but as soon as i try to leave the room she wakes and goes into a screaming rage untill i sit backdown. lately this has been going on all night and i am getting no sleep and it is starting to affect the older girls sleep. what do i do? i dont want the older girls to start resenting baby because she keeps them awake.

she has a good routine in general. naps at 12.30 daily for 2 hours and has her bath every night at 7.00 and goes to bed at 7.30. she has a bottle before bed while awake and always falls asleep in cot not on me or over a bottle. she uses a pacifier also.
3 girls aged 9yrs, 8yrs and 17months

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 14:55:29 pm »
Crikey that must be tough on you so first of all {HUG}.

Although my dd doesn't do it on a regular basis if she is feeling under the weather or teething even if I have settled her back down as soon as I try to leave the room she seems to sense it and gets upset.

Is it worth trying leaving the room in stages - so start by just moving away from her cot and if she stirs reassure her with your voice, then once she has settled again move a little further away and again if she stirs reassure her with your voice. Continue doing this until you reach the door and hopefully after a few nights she will be reassured and you can cut back until you can leave the room in one go.

Just a thought and hope it helps.
Sam's Mum

Offline samjo15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 12:41:07 pm »
thanks for the suggestion :)
i just saw my health visitor this morning who told me to try the 'disappearing chair' method which i will start tonight. its basically the same as what you suggested but i sit on a chair and each  night move it further away from the cot untill it is out the room!
ill keep you posted as to how i get on  :)
3 girls aged 9yrs, 8yrs and 17months

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 13:19:32 pm »
Yes please do let me know how you get on - using a chair is a good idea though as it will be more comfortable than standing for ages or sitting on the floor!!  :lol:

Good Luck
Sam's Mum