Author Topic: Nap/Eat help  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« on: October 10, 2005, 15:38:31 pm »
I know 45 min. nap is soooo common and my dd does it, but the issue is that she usaually sleeps for 45 min. and then 15 min. before her next feed she falls asleep again or she is so tired that she cries for sleep and doesnt want her bottle. Usually is like this
8 am bottle
9 am sleep
9 45 play
11 45 sleep or overtired and irritated
then? wake her?
this can go on all day long... what should i do... i´ve tried any possible way to extend naps but without succes...
can someone tell me a routine so when bottle time comes she can be calm an takes her bottle normally? please help

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 17:48:01 pm »
She's on a 4-hour routine then?  How about extending her A time a bit?  And perhaps switching to a shorter interval (~3.5 hours) while you work on the naps?
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Nap/Eat help
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 00:52:23 am »
How does she fall asleep at the beginning of her nap? And what happens at the end of her sleep cycle?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 14:52:59 pm »
she falls asleep by herself, and sometimes wake up crying and some laughing. when she is laughing i leave her for a while but then she cries, when crying i do pat shhh or change her from crib to her swing. if i hold her in my arms she stays asleep along time, but i am not holding her cause i know its not a thing to do but i know she can sleep more, but doesnt want to br alone. she falls asleep rubbing and holding and smelling her small washcloth. i do windown and play a jiraffe with a lullaby every nap and bed time. she wakes up in a good mood if she is not asleep or still sleepy, but cant be more tnan 1.5 hours awake, then she starts rubbing her eyes so i put her to sleep and then it is feed time.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
Nap/Eat help
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 03:01:33 am »
What she is doing is normal.

I would look at starting to extend her awake time, but doing it gradually. Continue to make sure she is going into her bed awake but drowsy.

I would look at the Wake to Sleep Announcement at the top of this board, I think it will help you in this situation.  It may not work right away, but give it some time.

Hang in there.. most infants take longer naps between 5-7 months.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 14:46:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply, i am going to try this new thing... I do have another questions if you can help. How much time should a 4.5 months old should be awake between naps? Can or should you extend the awake time, how? Why is it that if you hold baby in your arms can sleep more than 45 min.  as long as you hold her? and last but not least... my dd is eating less than 24 oz. a day in 4 feedings. She automatically dropped her df. She is growing ok. Should I worry? She is having some cereal. Hope you can help...  thanks a lot.

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
Nap/Eat help
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 17:51:20 pm »
Hi Daniela -

Was thinking of you and Ximena the other day and wondering how you were both doing.  Lucy also did the 45 minute naps for a while and I tried to extend them for weeks on end.  I eventually gave up trying and she just outgrew it herself.  I believe the appropriate A time for babies our age is 2 hours although Lucy starts getting tired at 1 hour 45 minutes.  First thing in the morning after her bottle she already seems like she wants to go back to sleep but I am trying to keep her awake longer or else she will just have a 45 minute nap and that messes up the whole day.  Lucy is also growing fine but is also eating about the same amount as Ximena (24 ounces).  She may be dropping her dreamfeed as the past few nights she has barely taken anything.  She weighs 16 pounds now and is 25 inches so I am assuming she is eating enough!  We have not started her on cereal yet but will probably do so soon.  We may wait until we get back from vacation (we are going to Mexico!   :D  :D ).  Anyway, don't know if anything I wrote here will help you but wanted to say hello anyway!  I know it is so frustrating when she naps for 45 minutes and then is overtired.  She will grow out of it especially because she knows how to fall asleep independently.  Take care of yourself.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
Nap/Eat help
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 01:16:17 am »
. How much time should a 4.5 months old should be awake between naps?

Just close to 2 hours.

Can or should you extend the awake time, how?

There's an announcement called "Wake to Sleep" which has information about extending naps.

Why is it that if you hold baby in your arms can sleep more than 45 min. as long as you hold her?

When you are holding your baby, you are acting as a sleep prop by soothing her to sleep into the next sleep cycle. When she is sleeping on her own, in her crib, she has to use her own skills-- which are still emerging.  Falling asleep and staying asleep are skills.

She automatically dropped her df. She is growing ok. Should I worry?

It depends on her night sleep. If she seems to be fine at night, sleeping through, then don't worry about it. If she starts waking for food at night, then re-establish the dreamfeed.

Hope this helps!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 14:47:02 pm »
Thanks for your answer... Im still trying to make her back to sleep.    She cant stay a lot of time awake. She alwayss falls asleep at 1.5 hours of activity so i will first try to lenghthen her A time. How can you do it gradually? Should I wait every time 2 hours after her feed? What if she falls asleep eating and theres no way to wake her... should I still do A time and wake her? wow all this is tough.

Offline Lucysmom

Nap/Eat help
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 16:09:00 pm »
Daniela - I would increase her awake time gradually or else she will become overtired and this will also cause sleep problems.  So maybe keep her awake 10 minutes longer for a few days (so awake time would be 1 hour 40 minutes).  Then an additional 10 minutes for another few days until you reach 2 hours.  The key is to do it gradually.  Good luck - it will get better.

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 02:18:41 am »
Thanks a lot... I sent you a private message, did you see it? Today she stay awake for 1.45 min... , but then she fell asleep while eating her cereal... guess I shold try more time.

Offline Lucysmom

Nap/Eat help
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 19:37:59 pm »
Daniela - Did you send me or Jane a private message? If it was me I did not receive it.  If she is falling asleep at 1 hour 45 minutes then maybe do 1 hour 35 minutes?  Hope things improve.  Lucy is getting a cold I think so that is not good.  Daddy is sick with a cold now so I guess I am next.

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 02:36:58 am »
Ximena is just recovering from a cold Daddy just had too... I am saved till now. Now I am sure I did send you a new private message... Good luck with the cold... when are you coming to Mexico on vacations?