Author Topic: Should I offer something else?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Should I offer something else?
« on: October 10, 2005, 18:44:40 pm »
Harry is 27 months now and usually eats very well, however, since bringing home the terrible 2 I have got into the habit of cooking out of the freezer.
I have decided to start afresh and make as many home cooked meals as I can, but for the last 2 nights Harry has not eaten more than a mouthful of food.
He eats a good breakfast, usually 3 slices of toast, or a bowl of dry cereal (yuk!) or occasionally both.
Lunch is usually a sandwich, or cheese and crackers which he loves.  He will also eat fruit.
Tonight I made fishcakes, and veggie rissoles.  He loves fish but only ate a mouthful of each - he has had both before, although it was quite a while ago.
After dinner, he came into the kitchen and asked for a biscuit.  I asked if he was hungry and he said he was.
I am going to make him some toast after he has had his bath, but I really don't want to get into the habit of feeding him something different to us. I know he won't starve, but at the same time I don't want him to go hungry.

Any suggestions??
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 19:08:53 pm »
i used to make a homemade meal and if they tried it and didn't like it then i would make something else they did like.  but no more!  i make kid friendly homemade meals!  it's chicken.  or something with cheese.  all ingredients they like!  so now they get dinner. take it or leave it.  last week both kids did not eat dinner for 3 nights.  oh well! 

i always make sure something is on the plate they like(rice, beans, chicken).  they have to learn to try new foods.  they have to learn that chicken can be grilled or fried and still be chicken! 

so i am not making new meals anymore.  i cater to their wants a few nights a week when i know i am making something they wouldn't like.....or i want to eat with dh later......but a few nights a week they get the family meal....and if they don't like it, then no dinner.  i assure you they like the rice...they are just choosing not to eat it!
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 19:24:40 pm »
We always offer Ewan what we are eating and if he doesn't eat it that is fine but then he waits until the next snack or meal time. :D

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 16:12:00 pm »
Thanks ladies, all the things I was considering.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline rach

• Showing Appreciation 322
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 16:29:24 pm »
Charlotte does the same - she won't eat her dinner, but then she'll see me or DH having ours (same as she's had btw!) and she tucks into ours!!!!

I have sometimes said 'if you don't want it now, do you want it in a little while?' and 10 mins later i've offered it again - sometimes a success, sometimes not.

If i'm concerned that she's not eaten much throughout the day, i'll do her something simple like toast for her to have or a banana, but I won't start cooking a whole new meal for her.
Rach xx

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 23:52:54 pm »
some nights when alex is being fussy with her dinner i wll leave her plate there but get her some yogurt or fruit to eat at the table.  often after she has what she wants of that she will then return to some of her dinner. i always give her at least 2 opportunities to eat from the plate and she does surprise me and will then clear off her pasta or veggies or something.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 03:01:45 am »
Ry gets to choose his breakfast and lunch, I choose dinner.  I do not force my children to eat anything that I would not eat, therefore we always have a dinner that everyone enjoys.  Now....that does not mean that he always eats it, but I do not "short order cook" dinner unless it is just one of those nights where everyone is pretty much fending for themselves.  If I do try something new, and that isnt' often, he has to at least try the meal before I will allow a pb&j, but I don't cook a second meal.  HTH...

bj

(you cracked me up about the terrible 2 :lol: )

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!