Author Topic: how to treat/keep from instilling bad habits with a cold?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline mandykittie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
how to treat/keep from instilling bad habits with a cold?
« on: October 10, 2005, 19:53:24 pm »
Hey,
my LO (8 weeks) has his second cold (thanks to my older one, who picks them up from her little buddies), and has been wanting to feed often in the night (every hour or two, sometimes just a few slurps), I think because his throat is dry, he's not feeling well, etc.  I have the same cold and feel equally horrible, so I know that when he's crying it's for good reason ;)
I'm just wondering, though, things were going fairly well, and I DO NOT want him to get to thinking that every time he wakes I'll give him some boob and get him back to sleep.  Any advice here, how to keep from developing a bad habit?  Also, we've got a humidifier and the head of his bed raised (as usual, due to his reflux), but any other ideas how to help him feel better?
Thanks!
Amanda
mommy to Josie (1/11/03) and Jasper (8/17/05)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 23:34:34 pm »
Hi Amanda!

Is he congested at all?  Nursings the same length?  It could be that he is actually a tiny bit hungry when waking because if they can't breathe well through their noses they can't feed well.  I would give my dd the saline nose spray and then suction her before and after every feed and before naps.  It seemed really help her feel better.  I also put a little vaseline on her nosey so it wouldn't get so dry.

I'm ok with a little AP while lo is sick. :wink: as long as it doesn't go on too long.  If you don't want to create a feeding habit can you rock or sway or pat to sleep?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline mandykittie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 19:24:05 pm »
Well, he's not too congested, and when he was waking often he would just take a few slurps (a couple minutes) and fall asleep.  I've been using the saline and suctioning, and there's stuff there, it's just not drippy or too stuffy (thank goodness!!)  I think it's mainly the fever, aches, chills, and sore throat that I have.  I think I'll try patting and swaying when he wakes rather than feeding, hoping he does beteter.  Last night we actually coslept (which I will not continue!), and both got a great night's sleep ("great" for eight weeks, that is!).  Thank goodness!
Thanks for the advice!
Amanda
mommy to Josie (1/11/03) and Jasper (8/17/05)