Author Topic: emptying the breast? MAstitis?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Brianne

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 10, 2005, 22:47:37 pm »
Code: [Select]
Lately my 6-wk. old ds has been feeding for 10-15 min. as opposed to his usual lengthy feeds, and although he's been gaining weight, he hasn't been emptying the breast.
Last night, my left breast was extremely sore and i started to get achey all over and the chills.  My mother told me to put the hot compress on and pump out the milk.  It helped, although it's still a bit sore today.  I'm guessing this is because he hasn't been emptying out the breast. 
Any advice on what to do?  THanks

annamum

emptying the breast? MAstitis?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 23:18:04 pm »
Although at this age babies just get more efficient at nursing and can nurse in as little as 5 minutes, if you get a sore breast, you could have to do something about it.

What you described looked like a beginning of mastitis but seems like you took really good care of yourself and prevented it. THe key, if this is mastitis, is to make sure you drain your breast, hot compress was also a good idea.

I had mastitis when my dd was 2 months old. It also started with a sore boob and soon the fever followed together with muscle aches. I was feeling horrible. What helped was frequent nursing, pumping the sore breast to make sure it is drained and taking rest/sleeping. I didn't get any antibiotics and I felt already better on a 3rd day.

To make sure he drains your breast you may need to do breast compression, for info on how to do that check this link: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15breast_compression.html

Hope this helps,