Author Topic: Won't eat much during the day, bottomless pit at night!  (Read 1322 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Won't eat much during the day, bottomless pit at night!
« on: October 11, 2005, 01:50:57 am »
Wasn't sure where to post this - General Sleep, BF, EASY - but here it is, and feel free to move it if it belongs elsewhere.

Anyway, Natalie's daytime schedule is so darned variable, mostly due to varying nap lengths, that a real 4-hour cycle happens rarely. She WON'T eat much during the day when she wakes, won't eat much later, too busy looking around and being 4-1/2 months old. :) She'll usually eat well first thing in the morning, last thing before bed, and one other good feed sometimes during the day. During these half-baked feeds, I'll go to her room in the dark and just about STUFF my nipple into her mouth, but she won't have any of it. (Of course, she'll be fussing for the boob an hour later and STILL take a lame excuse for a feed. :roll:)

At night, though, it's a whole different story. She wakes before her dream feed more often than not - I'd have to go up there by 9PM to forestall it sometimes - and then wakes AT LEAST twice more during the night, taking good feeds when she does wake but rarely snacking any more.

So.... I need her HUNGRY enough during the day to want to eat and fill herself up, but if I don't feed her at night she'll eventually cry enough to wake the dead (i.e. the other sleeping people in the house and possibly the neighbors LOL). I know she's also teething, which is probably responsible in part for the night wakings, but she's taking both sides most of the times she wakes, so she's hungry then. She's hungry enough on waking to stuff herself stupid, and she stuffs herself again at bedtime and is awake 3-4 hours later looking for more anyway (she just now took both breasts after a HUGE bedtime feed).

Not sure how to get more food into her during the day. The snack feed before naps idea doesn't work, because if she decides she's not hungry, nothing I can do will induce her to consume more, including a bottle. :?

HEEEEEELLLLP!!!!!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 02:20:10 am »
Well, you already know what is wrong, so either you want to fix it or you don't mind so much to keep going for a while longer.

Around 4 months is when a lot of moms have to "encourage" babies to eat more during the day by limiting the night feeding. That means if she wakes up and wants to eat, she gets pat/shh or pacifier or whatever even if it takes an hour to get her back to sleep.

At 4 months, Max was still eating 2-3 times per night (after previously sleeping 12 hrs straight at night) and he was eating every 2.5-3 hrs during the day. He had a HUGE growth spurt at 4 months that lasted 2 weeks - but that was obvious by the day feedings too. He was also an early teether, and Tylenol was a no-no because it contains soy.

Deb, I feel silly posting to you!  :roll:  *You* are the one that helps *me* with sleep issues!  8)

So my answer is either keep feeding her at night for your own sanity or take the plunge and get her back to sleep without feeding.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Mypunkin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Natalie
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 03:03:23 am »
I agree with Stacy, Deb.  Jalen was doing similar feeds at that age and after the fact I looked back and realized that what I needed to do was to just not feed her as much at night realizing that it may have taken two or three awful nights for her to finally start taking more in during the day.  We finally did that at 8 months by taking her feeds down in minutes.  When we got down to two minutes I KNEW she wasn't waking out of hunger anymore so dh took over the night wakings from there (rubbed her back until she fell back asleep). 

I waited until 8 months b/c I, like you, never knew when she was teething or maybe she has an ''off'' day and didn't have good opportunities to nurse.  Really, tho, I just prolonged my sleepless nights and could have nudged her sooner on.  At 8 months my dd was nursing 4ish times a day AND eating good meals, so I knew how ridiculous it was for her to have night wakings. 

Good luck==wishing you solid nights of sleep soon! :)
Jena

Jalen Sylvia Jean
12/23/02

jena@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 07:10:11 am »
Quote from: GraceKellysmom
Well, you already know what is wrong, so either you want to fix it or you don't mind so much to keep going for a while longer.

Around 4 months is when a lot of moms have to "encourage" babies to eat more during the day by limiting the night feeding. That means if she wakes up and wants to eat, she gets pat/shh or pacifier or whatever even if it takes an hour to get her back to sleep.

At 4 months, Max was still eating 2-3 times per night (after previously sleeping 12 hrs straight at night) and he was eating every 2.5-3 hrs during the day. He had a HUGE growth spurt at 4 months that lasted 2 weeks - but that was obvious by the day feedings too. He was also an early teether, and Tylenol was a no-no because it contains soy.

Deb, I feel silly posting to you!  :roll:  *You* are the one that helps *me* with sleep issues!  8)

So my answer is either keep feeding her at night for your own sanity or take the plunge and get her back to sleep without feeding.  :wink:

Man, I was afraid of that! And now we're just finished with a long holiday weekend, so it's gonna probably hafta be just me for a couple nights (DH is up by 5:30AM :().

To top it all off, I think she's going through something developmental, PLUS the fiasco with my neighbor's smoke detector a couple nights ago seems to have her thinking that she should be up - and eating and POOPING - in the middle of the night. :x (Fortunately, that hasn't happened again, the constant dying-battery chirping from next door... :?) Oh, and did I mention that we ended up giving her the pacifier back AGAIN, and I suspect that's waking her too, especially as she's no decided to sleep on her side? (Yeah, yeah, start as you mean to go on, but at 2AM who thinks clearly? LOL)

And if you can see the time on my post and make the adjustments for the time differences, you know I've up at 3AM (and have been since 2AM, putting her to sleep multiple times, after DH did his shift for nearly an hour before that).

It's gonna be a loooooong week. (YAAAWN!) Thanks ladies - sometimes the truth hurts, but one must do what one must do. *sigh* :)