Author Topic: won't nurse at bedtime or dropping a feed?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
won't nurse at bedtime or dropping a feed?
« on: October 11, 2005, 05:01:23 am »
I'm having a really hard time getting DS to nurse before bed.  I had this problem before and moved the bedtime feed from his room out to the living room (where I nurse the rest of the day).  That solved the problem until we started three meals of solids.  The last two BF sessions and dinner are all so close together (BF @ 3:30~4:00, solids @ 5:00, BF @ 6:00).  I thought he wasn't hungry at 6:00, but if we give him a bottle of EBM, he'll drink the whole bottle (8 oz).  I thought it was because he is tired or impatient with my slower let down in the evenings, but he'll patiently spend 20 minutes on the low flow nipple when he could be done with me in 5-10 minutes!

I've also tried nursing in various settings with no improvement (lights off, different room, quiet, etc).

I guess he could be ready to drop to 3 feeds at this age?  Drop which feed?  The last one since he's already doing it?  I always thought the 4 pm feed would be the one I should drop.  Or just pump and give him a bottle before bed instead?  What are your thoughts and what should I try first?
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

annamum

won't nurse at bedtime or dropping a feed?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 22:15:01 pm »
I really don't know why he is doing that. But I would still keep offering him a bottle of EBM. He is 9 months old, right? At this age I would still want him to be on 4 feeds of milk.
I was thinking, too, that he is not hungry after having solids and nursings spaced close together but this is not that, if he can drink that much from the bottle. Interesting  :? .