Author Topic: How odd!! Is this okay??  (Read 1434 times)

Offline scarletts mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How odd!! Is this okay??
« on: October 11, 2005, 09:59:20 am »
Hi

We have been battling with 45 minute naps with out four month old for what seems like forever....  she is on a great routine.. sleeps without dummy or swaddling and goes for 12 hours at night.  The only blot being these naps, which I had tried everything.. pu/pd... great for getting rid of the dummy... pat/shush..no good.. as it just woke her up and she thought it was playtime.

For the past two days we have been decorating the house and I have been putting her in her pram outside for naps because of the smell of paint etc... And would you believe it??!!  Yesterdays nap over lunchtime was 2.5 hours and this morning she went down for her nap outside at 9.15 and is still asleep!! 

Is this coincidence or does anyone else's baby just prefer to nap in their pram...   I am tempted now to just continue with this as it seems to work!!

Thanks
Lizzie

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
How odd!! Is this okay??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:43:29 am »
My DS napped in his pram outside for the whole of his first summer.  I stopped it when he could sit himself up and I didn't want him sleeping in his reins.  He protested but we got naptimes in the cot sorted then.

If it works, carry on.
Jenny

Offline scarletts mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
How odd!! Is this okay??
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 11:52:50 am »
Hi

Thanks for that... did you have problems getting him to nap in his cot when you moved him from his pram?  Or was he happy with the transition?

Thx
Lizzie

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
How odd!! Is this okay??
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 12:14:29 pm »
Not happy at all!   :(

He always slept really well outside and he still would far rather be outside than indoors.  I cringe when I see rain on the weather forecast!

He had real difficulties to start with and I had to do a combination of pat/shh and pu/pd.  This took a couple of weeks, then a week or so more before I could just put him in and walk out.

However, even though it was hassle to do the switch back to the cot, I wouldn't do it any different if I was doing it again, I think the fresh air was really good for him, it also made it easier when we were away because he didn't have a cot dependence for sleep.
Jenny

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
How odd!! Is this okay??
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 15:31:56 pm »
Hi there. My two month old also sleeps really well in her car seat/stroller. I usually let her take one nap a day in there since I live in Manhattan and like to be outside too - but I try to make sure that at least one nap is in her crib and that she sleeps at night in her crib. It seems to work ok for us and I love getting her fresh air.

I too cringe when I see rain in the forecast - and it's going to be a nasty week here in the city!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline scarletts mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
How odd!! Is this okay??
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 16:50:10 pm »
Will def carry on with her in her pram.. She does love being outside, I used to do it when she first born, then I had a Health Visitor who told me to stop... but it wont be the first time I have ignored her advice!

I agree on the cot dependancy thing too, we just went on holiday with some friends who had a nightmare as we were out a lot and their ds wouldnt sleep in his pushchair at all.  So was going all day without a proper nap..

I shall worry about the transition from pram to crib another day.  She sleeps brilliantly in their at night.. goes down at 7.00pm and not a peep for twelve hours!!

I shall prepare for a wonderful yorkshire winter and invest in rain cover!!

Lizzie