Author Topic: 18 month old seems petrified at sight of cot!  (Read 1460 times)

Offline lynzimillar

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
18 month old seems petrified at sight of cot!
« on: October 11, 2005, 13:25:30 pm »
:( We really need some advice, my 18 month old caitlin has always been a fairly good sleeper, sometimes taking a while to go down and occasional night wakings but nothing too awful. All of a sudden though with no change to her routine, nursery etc she has become petrified of going to bed. She has started walking which could be a reason but has no problems laying herself back down in cot ect as suggested in latest book.

As soon as we take her into her nursery she clings round our neck, screaming saying "no ma ma, no ma ma , no!!", the screaming lasts for anything from 1 to 3 hours and is unbearable to listen to. I have tried, pick up put down, staying with her constantly, rocking her to sleep etc etc but as soon as she is put back in cot or we creep out she screams.

Last night was the worse ever and was heartbreaking! it's not like she is just putting it on for attention she is truly petrified.

Her bedtime routine is same every night and is as follows:

6:15pm (normally showing signs of tiredness by now), bath  put pj's on

6:30pm quiet play and story time and cuddles, lights dimmed, no tv

6:45pm get her milk ready, give her dummy, cuddle bear and prepare her by saying, "nearly bedtime Caitlin"

7:00pm take her upstairs, let her finish her milk off while we are there, kiss her goodnight and leave

We are thinking about trying her in a toddler bed but not sure if she is too young. Silly thing is, most nights once she is asleep, she stays asleep for a good ten hours but if she does wake, there is no way to get her back to sleep in her own room. It is now affecting her during the day as she will only nap in car, isn't eating well but is normally a fantastic eater and is very clingy.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 15:48:22 pm »
Anytime a normally good sleeper drastically changes like this, my first thought is an illness.  We went through the same thing with my ds when he was about 18 months old, he would suddenly start screaming when we headed towards his room.  After a couple days of this I finally took him to the doctor and found out he had an ear infection!

Maybe something to check out first?
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline lynzimillar

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:25:23 am »
thanks for the idea, I may well go and get her checked out just in time, desperation has set in big time now!!!

Offline ryan's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:29:23 am »
ryan went in a toddler bed at 15mths with a bed guard on the side to stop him falling out,slept better than in his cot cos he kept banging into the sides
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Lan

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 01:21:59 am »
If it's not illness,  could your daughter possibly have banged her head on the cot bars? At this age toddlers think objects are alive, and if she banged her head on the bars she could easily think the cot was deliberately trying to hurt her. This is what has been happening with my son lately. I keep telling him that the cot wasn't trying to hurt him, it was an accident. Another reason might be she has some other fear or phobia that seem to crop up a lot at this age. You could tell her that her bear will look after her if sh'e scared in the night.