Author Topic: 8 month old will not sleep independently  (Read 1033 times)

Offline E&J's mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
8 month old will not sleep independently
« on: October 11, 2005, 14:32:44 pm »
Hello there,
I really need some help with my 8 month old ds. We have tried pu/pd and pat/shh and have not had much success, mostly because of our frustration, I know. Our day looks a little like this:

7:30 or 8:00  wake and 7 oz bottle
8:30 or 9:00  cereal and fruit
10 or 10:30   nap
12:00            solids (veggies, fruit, yogurt)
2:00             7 oz bottle
3:00 or 3:30  nap
4:30 or 5      wake, water in sippy cup and solids
7:00             bath, pyjamas, bottle (8 oz), snuggle and bed

Our problem is getting to sleep and staying there. We have gotten him out of rocking to sleep but now we must rub his back in his crib until he is asleep. At this point he will usually sleep until after midnight at least and may wake anywhere from 1 to 3 times during the night. Most times a quick rock will get him back to sleep or even just to pick him up he settles in my arms. I have tried rubbing his back when he wakes at night but I think he 'knows' if he persists I will pick him up. Last night I tried settling him for an hour, he just lay in my arms with a wide-eyed stare and if I tried to put him down he cried. I finally gave him a bottle and he went to sleep and stayed until 8:30. My MIL will be visiting in a few weeks and I would like to get this under control before she comes as she likes to get up with him if he wakes at night and will rock him until he is sound every time. We did have him falling asleep on his own occassionally before her last visit and after she left I was up 4 or 5 times a night! I really need help coming up with a plan as I cannot see what else I can try. Pu/pd distresses him. I am very open to suggestions as I cannot think clearly at this point and it seems as if I have tried everything. He did use a pacifier and would go to sleep on his own with that but I took it away 2 months ago because he was waking 4 times a night for me to put it back in and I thought that would solve our problem. It didn't! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Joanne

Offline Mommy Moo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Canada
8 month old will not sleep independently
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 14:33:24 pm »
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. My DS is almost 16 months old and is still getting up every night. I just returned from a trip to visit family in Newfoundland :D and he slept through the night there quite often. I don't know what the difference is.  So he's back here now on the west coast and he's getting up 3-4 times per night again.

Sorry I don't really have any advice but I will be watching this thread for some answers for me too.  It sounds like you are doing everything right to me though.

Good Luck!
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80