Author Topic: Habitual night waking, for no reason!  (Read 1456 times)

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Habitual night waking, for no reason!
« on: October 11, 2005, 17:46:26 pm »
I started the sleep training a month ago and Grayson is STILL waking up every night at 2am and 4am.  Usually he just goes right back to sleep with pat-sh and sometimes he puts himself back to sleep, less frequently now that he is teething, plus he just got over an ear infection, we can't catch a break here!  How do I get rid of these wakings, it's the same time every night.  When we do sleep to wake, sometimes it works and sometimes it backfires and he's up every hour after that.  I have a high needs baby and I read in Dr. Sear's book that high needs babies can't be sleep trained.  Has anyone else had this problem??  I fear Dr. Sears may be right!  It's like he just won't break the habit, no matter what.  His naps have been a problem too, nothing consistent out of him, EVER!  Not since he was born.  After 4 months of this, I swear I am ready to run away.  I just can't get past this mundane life I have, standing by his cribside all day and then his wakings at night too.  My husband travels a lot and I have no family or friends here, because we moved to PA recently.  I just don't know what to do!

Jessica
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Offline Alison_3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 00:38:02 am »
First of all Jessica-  Welcome to PA!  I live in Harrisburg but did my undergrad and graduate work in Bethlehem/Allentown.  My ds is now almost a year old, but I can remember feeling exactly what you are feeling!  My ds is a spirited refluxer and just wouldn't sleep.  My ds would wake up at least twice a night and the first time I would feed him and the second time I would try PU/PD. 

I want you to know that it will get better.  I never thought my ds would sleep through the night.  I was so sleep deprived and I would hear/read about all these babies that slept through the night at such a young age.  I would wonder what am I doing wrong?  Well, the answer to that question was nothing.  My spirited little guy finally figured it out around 8 months.  He now sleeps through the night.  (wakes up at 5:30 a.m., but I'll take it!)  He still isn't a great napper, but I've just learned to deal with it.  He's a happy guy and we just go with it day by day.

For your own sanity, get out of the house-  even if it is just for a walk around the block or to the mall to walk around if the weather is bad.  That made such a difference for me.  I would load ds up and we would run just a little errand here and there.  I felt like a normal person then. 

I remember crying in my ds's room wondering what are we going to do...Please hang in there and let me know how it's going.  It will get better!!

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 14:49:07 pm »
Thank you Alison, for being supportive and for giving me hope!!  The hardest part for me is the inconsistency.  It seems like Grayson is getting better, he will sleep through the night one night, he will sleep through all of his naps and then whamo, it changes, he starts waking more again, he won't sleep through the naps, so I can't tell if he's getting better or if he will always just be inconsistent.  He always has been, actually.  And I have read that about high-needs babies.  So I get my hopes up when he does well and then I am let down again.  I should learn to expect regression and well, I did expect it, just not so frequently. 

I do try to get out whenever I can, we take walks around the neighborhood often and just yesterday I was planning to take him to the mall just to walk around and get out, but we got a late start so we went to a local shopping center instead.  Unfortuantely with his teething, he was pretty crabby yesterday and I ended up holding him and pushing an empty stroller at the same time, lol.  But it felt good to get out.  The problem is I ALWAYS spend money when I go out, I just can't help it, ha ha, it's dangerous.  So I try not to do it too much.  I actually look forward to grocery shopping, it gets me out of the house and allows me to spend money legitimately, silly I know, lol.   :roll:

My little bugger is up now from his first nap, which he did all on his own - one hour and fourty five minutes!  See, we will have a few good days and then a few bad....it's the cycle he just seems to have.  I can't wait until he sleeps though the night though and I imagine that will have to happen at some point, even if it is when he goes away to college, ha ha.   :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement Alison, it means a lot!

Jessica
Grayson born 5/28/05

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Offline Superman'sMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
Like Twins
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 20:06:42 pm »
Wow I feel like you were describing my life.  I hope everything gets better for you. I two started sleep training 3 weeks ago. After descovering Aiden has reflux I have put him on medication but the night wakings continue. Last night he was up every two hours and wanted to nurse. My life is in disarry. He has no schedule, none. I've been writing down his schedule for a week, no  similaritys. I feel like I am putting him back to sleep all day and all night.  I don't go out anymore because it disrupts his naps and then my whole day (and night) is shot.  I keep tellling myself it is going to get better but I doesn't look like it. My DH is gone for most of the time and I don't have a lot of friends. My Mom trys to visit but I end up trying to please him and/or putting him to bed(not a quick task). 20 min down then 20 min later I help him make it througbh the transition and that doesn't even guarette that he will stay down. So many times I have stood over his bed hand on his chest not even breathing for 19 min and he opens he eyes wide open! Urgh. Sorry I was trying to give consoliation and ended up complaining. I guess I just want you to know that I feel your pain.    :(
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 23:51:54 pm »
Oh I am so sorry, but it's probably good that you were able to use my post to vent.  You need to get it out, I know how it all feels and I am there myself.  Although, I have to remember that even if it's little baby steps, it is getting better and they can't need our help sleeping forever. 

I just started getting connected with some local moms through a moms club and although I haven't met up with anyone live yet, it has already helped me enormously, just via e-mail.  You should see if you can find something online.  I would never have known all these moms lived around me if it wasn't for the message board I found!!  You can also try the Moms Club International online.  If there is a chapter near you, you can get connected with them.  I know I won't be able to go to many functions until I get things straightened out with Grayson's sleep, but it's nice to know they are there.  In fact, I missed an event today, because I didn't want to "disrupt" Grayson's schedule.

I had his Grandmother over, my MIL, and she put him down for a nap and got him up, for the first time.  It's really important to me that she knows how to do his routine the way we do it, so we can leave him with her comfortably.  She did really well, I'm so relieved.  It took him a little bit longer to fall asleep, but he did and she got him up, he was all smiley and happy.  Phew!  One task down.  It might be time for DH and I to go out for a romantic dinner alone, finally!

Jessica
Grayson born 5/28/05