Author Topic: Any Ideas for PU/PD with a 10 mos old?  (Read 978 times)

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Any Ideas for PU/PD with a 10 mos old?
« on: October 11, 2005, 22:00:30 pm »
Hi!  Yikes, I need a refresher!  DS is a happy boy, great napper, and goes down easily at night.  However, a few nights a week, he wakes screaming.  I don't think it is pain or hunger since we had him checked for ear infection, and he has been without a night bottle for several months with no problem.  If I pick him up when he is crying, he is instantly calm, and humms to himself in my arms.  If I crawl into his crib (yes, I have done this  :roll: ), he has trouble sleeping soundly, but is happy.  If I pat him, he can calm down, but screams the minute he sees me leave the room.   

I definitely do not want to accidentally parent, but I do want to respond to his needs.  Anyone have any advice for this age group? 

I really need a what-to-do plan so I respond the same way each time he wakes.  Right now, I do pat-shush sometimes, PD sometimes, sit on the floor by the crib sometimes.  I just feel like I am winging it, and things are not working.    :?
Sheila
ng

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 06:46:41 am »
Maybe not quiet BW, but I think it has to do with his age & "seperation anxiety" I say go in calm him down, leave & keep doing it, show him you come back & are there to meet his needs.
So yes pick him up let him calm. put him back. telling him it sleep time, or what ever suits you. If his sleep otherwise is good then I think that is all you can do.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 17:16:37 pm »
Dd is doing this sometimes too. Sometimes it's just a little yelp and she goes back to sleep and sometimes we have to go in. We usually don't turn a light on or even say anything, we just readjust her blanket, pat her or stroke her a few times until she's settled and then leave the room again right away. If she's standing and crying, we'll do p/d. One thing we've found that helps is we have introduced a few "quirky" things into her bedtime routine. Little things like whenever I put her in bed I take her blankie and wave it over her a few times. kwim? like I'm going to put it on her but don't right away. (sounds weird but she gets a kick out of it) I also have a children's aromatherapy spray I spritz over her crib when she's down. By adding these little things, we find if we do them in the middle of the night too, it adds reassurance. Extra comfort and she knows they are "signs" it's still bedtime.

I hope that helps some!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 17:51:44 pm »
Great ideas, Kate and Sharon!  I feel ready to conquer the night wakings again.   :wink:
Sheila
ng