Author Topic: mamaaaaa, mamaaaaa, daaaada, daaaada !!!  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Khyan & Sahria's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
mamaaaaa, mamaaaaa, daaaada, daaaada !!!
« on: October 11, 2005, 22:42:38 pm »
Khyan has started calling for us when he wants us in the morning or if he wakes and can't get back to sleep at night ! All we hear is mama, dada, mama, mama, mamaaaaa, daaaada, daaaada and so on... Eventually he will start with the HIGH pitch squeal (it is SO horrible) and then if we ignore that he starts to get hysterical.

My problem is that I know that when he starts that there is no way he going back to sleep without LOTS of help - unless I go as soon as he starts the calling. But I don't know whether encouraging him to call when he needs us is a good thing - does that mean that he will do it for no GOOD reason - more than likely ! and I don't want him to think that the squeal cry is acceptable because it is so hard on the ears. But I don't want him to be confused as to why mummy leaves him till he is scared maybe thinking I've gone somewhere.

The last couple of days I have been standing outside his door waiting for the non squeal cry and I jump in there as soon as I hear it - but I can't continue this indefinently ! 

What do you think ? When should I be going in there ?
Michaela
Khyan & Sahria's Mummy

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
mamaaaaa, mamaaaaa, daaaada, daaaada !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 23:53:10 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have specific advice on when to go in, but I can say that going in at certain times and not at other times when he's just calling can work out.  I know it's all about being consistent, but here's what I mean.  This is going to sound tough, but dd has always needed to be alone to sleep.  After we put her down for a nap, she used to call out for us (just like when she wakes), but we VERY rarely would go in because we knew she was just stalling and didn't actually need us.  This did not teach her that we're not coming at other times however.  She still knew to call when she woke up and that we'd come get her.  Now she calls when she wakes in the morning and after nap when she's ready to get up.  She even wakes sometimes mid-nap on strange days, but won't call for us cause she knows she's not done sleeping....not sure how she learned that one as we didn't ignore her or anything mid-nap...she just fusses a little bit and goes back to sleep.  I know that doesn't help you with timing, but thought it might be helpful in knowing that after you figure out when to go in, you can go in at certain times and not other times for just calling out and he'll learn the difference.  Now I wouldn't do that for actually crying like you're talking about of course.