Author Topic: breast engorgement  (Read 1097 times)

Offline joannec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
breast engorgement
« on: October 12, 2005, 08:03:56 am »
Hi All,
 I'm just wondering how long on average does it take for your (my) breasts to adjust to changes in b/f patterns. My 11 week old (nearly) DS has started to go much longer at night without a b/f for about 1.5 weeks now but my breats don't seem to know it. I wake up very engorged which really complicates the picture since I already have a big supply and a very strong letdown reflex. Any ideas or suggestions for helping them to register the bubs demand is changing?
Cheers, Jo
(mother to Noah 29/7/05)
Jo
DS - Noah born 29/7/05

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
breast engorgement
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 14:54:32 pm »
Hi Jo,
I'm sure every woman is different, but for me it took quite a few weeks for my breasts to not be super engorged in the morning.  Katie has been sleeping through since around 12 weeks and I've found it's only really been the past month or so that I can get away without using nursing pads and without rock solid boobs in the AM.  Doesn't the extra sleep feel great?
-Erin

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
breast engorgement
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 18:44:21 pm »
With my first, I stayed engorged longer and leaked longer. With my second, my body seemed to understand and adjust more quickly.

If you need to let the second breast run off into a towel while he nurses on the first in the AM, that can help relieve the engorgement and the let down won't be as fast for the second feed. Or you can just pump off an ounce or two if you aren't leaking like that anymore.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline joannec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
breast engorgement
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 20:21:54 pm »
Once again (see enough feeds?), many thanks - I love this website.
Cheers, Jo
Jo
DS - Noah born 29/7/05