Author Topic: Beginning of Weaning or Needs Less Feeds?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Beginning of Weaning or Needs Less Feeds?
« on: October 12, 2005, 11:57:07 am »
I am curious as what my dd may be doing right now...or maybe if we need to go to three feeds.  She is almost 9 months. :D

We currently have four feeds- 7, 11, 3 and 6.  A few days ago she started just eating from one breast at each feed, normally she would have both.  Then she rejected entirely the 11am two days ago, and yesterday did not seem to want it although I coached her a bit.  She is not teething right now and shows no signs of colds.  I mean she is very clear about not wanting it at all or not wanting more, she arches her back and clearly pushes aways, if I continue to try eventually she will cry.

We don't give her bottles or cups that often at all.  Over the weekend when she rejected me at the 11am feed I made my dh give her a sippy cup of milk but she didn't drink from that either...so not hungry?

I am trying to understand what she is doing...she did something similiar awhile back when we ended our cluster feed before bed.  I was happy when she dropped the cluster on her own, so I want to listen to her on this too. I want her to choose what she wants to do.  :D
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 18:37:46 pm »
She really *should* keep up on four feeds for a little while longer. Is she eating too much solids?

Max is the same way with arching/crying when he doesn't want to nurse. It is really bittersweet! On the days he doesn't want to nurse, I pump give that to him with meals.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline branwen

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 20:30:16 pm »
That is the strange thing about the solids- only about 4oz for every solid meal plus some puffs or finger food- but that is only for practice- sometimes they don't really make it to her mouth :wink:

She only wanted one side at 3 today :(

When do you go to three? At 12 months?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 23:01:39 pm »
Hey Branwen!  I had the same question.  We were at the ped's office today and found out Maya is not gaining weight, so we are definitely not dropping a feed anytime soon, but I am still curious.  So few people nurse exclusively to this age, there aren't alot of people around to ask!
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

annamum

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 23:39:57 pm »
I agree with Stacy, keep that feed for a while, even if you have to pump and offer milk in a sippy cup.

BTW, 4 oz at each feeding doesn't seem a little to me, especially if she eats this and finger foods on top of that. It is not too much but maybe for her it is enough not to be hungry for milk?

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 01:34:55 am »
4 oz isn't much to Max, but it would have been a lot to Grace. What does she weigh?

They often stop growing or slow down a lot 9-15 months, especially if they are crawling/walking all the time. It is hard to get enough calories in! Plus, they stop the amazing growth rate and start focusing on other things, like emotional growth, physical abilities, mental growth.

Usually between 10-11 months I say go ahead and drop a feed. She is so close, if you can get her to drink ebm at meals, she will probably be ok to go to 3. Grace dropped her feeds almost all in the 11th month and took her last nursing two days before her 1st birthday. Max is still nursing 2-4 feeds at 15 months old.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline branwen

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 15:49:50 pm »
She is a little over 20 lbs now.  Today she's doing the 1 sided feeds...but didn't completely reject me at 10:45?  Her weight gain has slowed quite a bit, but she is still gaining.

She doesn't really ask to nurse?  Should I wait for her or continue to offer every 4 hrs?  I'm afraid if I didn't offer she wouldn't ever ask? 

She isn't crawling but is trying!  More like belly circles right now.

I of course am not ready for her to stop!  I feel like crying everytime she pushes me away :cry: is this a normal feeling?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 18:35:36 pm »
Of course it's normal, hon! {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Yes, keep offering every 4 hrs. We are the moms and we know what is best for them, right? Right?  :lol:  They get to where they are so busy or darn independent they forget to eat.

She sounds PERFECT for her age. Everything you describe sounds just right.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies