Author Topic: Changing child from crib to toddler bed  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Mommy2Courtney

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Changing child from crib to toddler bed
« on: October 12, 2005, 12:00:04 pm »
Hi everyone,

my daughter is 15 months old and i'am thinking about putting her into a big girl bed.The only reason for this is because in almost 3 months we are expecting another baby and i don't want to have to buy a new crib.She likes her crib but i know i soon have to make this step.Any suggestions on how to start this process.Also i'm debating whether or not to change her room.We have Dora the explorer bought for her now,but i don't know if i should keep her in the room she is in now and paint it all again and do up her room or if i should keep that room for the new baby and do up the spare room for her.I don't want this to be hard on her so i don't know what to do.Any ideas would be great.

Charlene

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 12:35:52 pm »
hi Charlene,

i can share what we did...

we did move jaina into a new room.  we have 2 bedrooms for kids, and made the nursery the smaller one.  that way, i could just leave all the stuff in there for the new baby.  :wink:

i set up her room about a week before i put her in there.  i'm not one for major decorating, so all i did was put her bed, dresser, and toys in there.  (both rooms were painted a soft green on purpose!).  i put her mattress & box spring directly on the floor.  it's in the corner, and the remaining 2 sides have bedrails, leaving a small area where she can climb in/out.

i started her in there for naps only at first.  the first day, i spent well over an hour going in there every few minutes & putting her back in bed.  she loved her new independence & kept getting out to play with her toys.   :roll: .  the second day it was a little less than an hour, and by the 3rd or 4th day i could leave her in there & she would go to sleep pretty quickly. 

after about 2 weeks of that, we went away for a holiday for a week.  when we came back, she went into the bed for all the time.  she did great.

she will still get out & play before naptime, but she will go to sleep when she is tired.  we haven't really had any problems.

hope this gives you some ideas you can use.  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Mommy2Courtney

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 13:30:50 pm »
Hi Jaime!

Thanks for the information....I think i'm going to start this weekend getting the room ready.I'm sure whatever i decide she will adjust just fine to it.

Charlene