Author Topic: waking too early  (Read 3379 times)

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
same problemo
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 15:58:26 pm »
Hi,

I have an 8.75 month old and Im going thru the same thing. He wakes up early and sometimes I think he is hungry, but doesn't drink much. The thing is he doesn't really drink much, it's like he has a good week with his bottle and then a bad one. I'm not sure if I'm feeding him enough and he needs more food to sleep better.

So he wakes up at 5-6 am

Bottle about 45 mins later, on a good day 5 oz. on a bad day 4 oz. I always make 6 oz. though.

Then solids about 5 ice cubes

Then bath and first nap.  His awake time is 2.5

Wakes up and about 3.5 hours later after his last food intake another bottle and the same amounts.

Then lunch

Then play and nap. Awake time 3 hours

Wakes up and about 3.5 hours later after his last food intake another bottle and a cookie. Awake time 2 hours

usually a catnap, I want to get rid of it so he can sleep better at nite. Im working on that right now.

After his catnap solids again. Awake time used to be 2 now its 3 hours.

And then at bedtime I try to give him a bottle but sometimes he just doesn't want it sometimes he will drink 3-4 oz.

I also give him water at lunch and dinner about 2 oz. he doesn't drink much.

So he has stopped waking up in the middle of the night for food, but is this enough food for him to sleep well?

I try to give him more food but he just doesn't want it.

So does this routine look similar to one of yours?

Thanks.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
waking too early
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 18:48:07 pm »
5 ice-cubes worth of solids at every feeding? 3 times a day?  :shock: that sounds like an awful lot to me - and may be why he's not drinking as much out of his bottle.

however, i have no idea how big your lo is - and he may indeed need that much.   :wink:  but my ds is around 20ish lbs and eats maybe 3 tablespoons 3x a day.  drinks btwn 25-30 oz. 

regardless, your lo is definitely eating enough.  have you introduced new foods lately?  sometimes the addition of new foods throws off their digestive system a little until it gets used to the new food - makes for gassy early wakings.

he could also be ready to drop the catnap, as you said.  3 hours is normal from afternoon nap to bedtime - luke goes anywhere from 3-4 hrs.  it does take a bit at first, and some people find that a temporary earlier bedtime (maybe half an hour) helps ease them through the transition.

i've found that treating everything before 7am (or whatever wakeup time you want) like a nightwaking to be the most helpful.  would let him babble until he cried, but if it wasn't time to get up, i would go in & soothe, pu/pd, whatever, until he went to sleep or it was time to get up.

hope this gives you some ideas.  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy