Author Topic: evening/weekend breastfeeding successfully?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline drplum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
evening/weekend breastfeeding successfully?
« on: October 12, 2005, 13:27:02 pm »
Hi Ladies,
I was wondering if anyone has successfully nursed weekends and evenings for a long period (say 6 months).  My ds just turned 6 months old yesterday and has been on breastmilk exclusively but I am just not pumping enough to warrant hauling this pump around and taking 30 minutes 3 x day.  Also, I kinda want some freedom back but not at the risk of this not being successful. 
My goal is to nurse evenings and all day on weekends and daysoff.

Thanks
De

Alan 03/26/02
Parker 04/11/05
DeAnn

Alan 3/26/02
Parker 4/11/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
evening/weekend breastfeeding successfully?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 18:42:00 pm »
Even if you're not getting much - you are still stimulating your breasts to make more milk than they would otherwise. (Maybe just hook up for 10 min a couple times a day?) Moms with large milk supplies can sometimes do nights/weekends ok. Others need more stimulation - otherwise their body thinks baby is weaning and the supply could dry up.

Your body is technically supposed to make what your baby demands. If you have a baby that loves to nurse for longer periods of time (not the 5 min snacker), they may be able to keep your supply. Especially if they are still nursing at night or if you co-sleep.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there is no guarantee.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies