Author Topic: Anyone know signs for "stroller" & "Yoghu  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Threadhead

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Anyone know signs for "stroller" & "Yoghu
« on: October 12, 2005, 18:01:21 pm »
I am struggling to find easy signs for stroller/buggy/pram and yoghurt.  Can anyone help me?  Already tried Born2sign and commtech sites, but had no joy. 

Tally is signing juice, milk, raisins, bath, change and apple (not really helpful since she doesnt like apples, but hey).  She wont sign "more" yet (although she probably sees that one more than all the others put together). 

Going to start teaching her "brother" and "sister".  She can already make sounds that I know are their names (Doh and N), but signs for these might be handy too.

Thank for your help!

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 04:01:37 am »
Sorry I don't know the signs, but I just made up my own for things I worked on with my son since I didn't have a book.

stasztk

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 04:11:14 am »

Offline Threadhead

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 08:01:55 am »
Yes, stasztk, I tried the commtech site with no luck.  They had "stroll" but it is kind of walking your fingers, which is the opposite of going in the buggy (stroller).

I think I will go with your idea, Nikki, of inventing my own signs.

Thanks for your help

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 11:29:26 am »
The sign for stroller is like the action... two hands, like you have them on the bar of a stroller, moving forward like you are pushing it... usually twice. It is contextual, meaning this is also the sign for lawnmower, etc. If you use it consistently for "stroller" your lo will associate it with stroller.

The sign for yoghurt... the one I use is as if I am holding a small jar/container the yoghurt comes in, in my left hand and and my right is in a "Y" hand shape and I scoop out like I am using a spoon (with my pinkie finger as the spoon).

I realize that you are in Scotland... the signs are different there than in North America. The signs I have given you are in American Sign Language. It will be different from British Sign Language (in the UK) and Australian Sign Language (aka AUSLAN).
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline Threadhead

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 12:24:15 pm »
Thanks Arwyns mom; thats really helpful.

I am not too bothered about which nationality sign language we use, since we are only using it for our family, iykwim!  It also seems that different ASL sites have different signs for the same words.  I suppose there are regional, as well as national differences.  We are just using the ones that are easiest to copy.

Seems like baby sign language is considered "a bit weird" over here in Scotland, although we are spreading the word!