Author Topic: Extending her night  (Read 1217 times)

Offline dcraner

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 12, 2005, 20:23:01 pm »
I have a wonderful little girl who is 6 1/2 months old.  She sleeps 8 hours at night and has been doing that since she was 7 weeks old.  I feed her when she wakes and then I directly put her back down and she sleeps another 2-3 hours.  How can I get her to not wake at 8 hours, but sleep for the 10+ that she needs?
New mommy of Amelia, 03/24/05
Michigan, USA

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Extending her night
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:44:21 am »
eventually she will.... is she waking at the same time every night?  do you cluster feed?  dream feed?

can you post your typical day?
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline dcraner

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 18:57:45 pm »
She sleeps around 8 to 9 hours right now, getting up around 6:30 am.  She is fed at 6:30, then put back down to bed to sleep for another 2 hours or so.  She is then eating every 4 hours.  10:30, 2:30, 6:30 feedings are breastfeeding along with cereal or veggies.  Then I feed her again at 9:30, just breastfeeding, then to bed.  When she was only a few months old I had used a dream feed to get her to not need the 3:30am feeding.
I appreciate any help and advice.  She's an incredible little girl and I want to train her, not re-train later. :D Any thoughts?
Michigan, USA

Offline Jaime

• Administrator
    • Laughable Lunacy
Extending her night
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 20:12:11 pm »
9:30 is awful late for bedtime... you'll probably want to start to crank that back to around 8pm.  that will take a while - you can probably do 15 min increments every few days.

you may want to consider cluster feeding in the evening - like around 6 & 8ish to help tank her up.

how do her naps look?  at 6 months they are usually down to a morning and afternoon nap, though some still need a 30 min catnap to help make it til bedtime.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline dcraner

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 20:38:42 pm »
She is taking naps at around 1:00 and around 4 lasting around an hour and a half each.  Then she wants a cat nap around 7 or so.  With cluster feedings is it breastfeeding and food or just breastfeeding?  She's small for her age, so I wouldn't mind having her eat more often.
Michigan, USA

Offline Jaime

• Administrator
    • Laughable Lunacy
Extending her night
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 20:49:59 pm »
okay... now i've got more specifics for you.

8:30am - 1pm is way too long for a 6-month old to be awake.  if she's up around 8:30 have her back down for a nap around 10/10:30 and again around 1ish.  she will probably need a 30min catnap around 5pm and bed by 8.

it's likely that she is overtired by that first naptime, throwing off the rest of your day & then she can't sleep as well at night.

cluster feeding is just breastfeeding.

at this point, she is still getting most of her nutrients from your milk, so don't worry about increasing solids at this point - 2x a day is great.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy