Author Topic: 22 month old awake for hours in middle of night!  (Read 1039 times)

Offline orthobrett

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
22 month old awake for hours in middle of night!
« on: October 13, 2005, 00:42:21 am »
I am hoping someone might be able to help, as I am at my wits' end! My 22 month old was a very good sleeper until about the past 6 months or so. Progressively and off & on, things have gotten worse. She goes down at night around 8pm without a problem.  When she is in a "good phase" she will sleep until 6:30 am or so. Nap time is usually 1:30-4 ish. This will be the norm for a few weeks. Then, unexpectedly, her whole routine will change. This week she slept through 2 nights only.  Twice she was up at 3:30 and would NOT go back to sleep. I got her to lay back down, but 30 min later she was still wide awake, yelling for me. The other 3 nights she went down at 8pm and was up again at 10:30pm. She screamed, would settle down, scream again.... on and on for 5 hours! Each time I would go in to reassure her until she calmed and seemed to be drowsy, but about 10-20 min after I left the room she would call for me again. A few times I lay on the floor in her room until I thought she was asleep, but a few minutes after I left she was screaming again. Finally  I think she tired herself from yelling so much and she fell asleep around 3:30 each time (and slept until about 8 am)  I am exhausted because I am pregnant again, and I know I can't handle this with a newborn as well. Any suggestions??

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:49:21 am »
Any possibility that there's a health issue?  My dd did this two nights in a row and then got a high fever so we took her in and it was a urinary tract infection.  I think she was afraid to go to sleep cause she knew it would hurt when she'd wake up again and need to pee...or something like that.  Any teething going on?

Offline orthobrett

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 13:27:33 pm »
No fevers, teething, or anything like that.  The strange thing is that she will sleep well for a night or two, then a night or two where she is awake most of the night, then another good night. This will continue for several weeks, then all of a sudden she is back to normal for a few weeks. Then the whole pattern again. Also, I have been waking her from her naps if they go much past 4pm, because when she is up all night sometimes she will sleep most of the afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion...... I sometimes forget that teething may be a possibility.