Author Topic: Help - 11 month old Frequent night wakings!  (Read 1001 times)

Offline caleb's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help - 11 month old Frequent night wakings!
« on: October 13, 2005, 19:00:41 pm »
My ds is 11 months old and has started waking several times at night.  Sometimes it takes an hour or more to get him back down.  He used to sleep through from bedtime to about 7 am but that changed a month ago - not sure why.  I think it might be separation anxiety - otherwise I am at a loss.
Right now he falls asleep in his crib but I need to stay in his room.  I am removing the patting/rubbing that we had been doing to get him to sleep but need to get myself out of the room.  I assume if he falls asleep on his own at bedtime he might have an easier time when he wakes at night.
He is not standing yet so can anyone give advice on how to go about getting him to sleep on his own.  I have been just staying in the room with verbal assurance but this takes forever.  As soon as I leave the room he screams.
Should I do our routine, leave the room, go back and reassure and keep doing that until he gets it?  Or should I stay in the room?
What about when he wakes at night?  As soon as I come in the room he stops crying and rolls over on his side.  Should I do the same thing?
I posted a message about a week ago and didn't get any feedback - please help this time.
Thanks.
Proud Mom of Two Boys
Caleb - January 9, 2003 - 10lbs 15 1/2 ounces!
Devan - November 8, 2004 - 9lbs 6 1/2 ounces!

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Help - 11 month old Frequent night wakings!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 20:00:04 pm »
Not sure if I can help you, but how much time do you give him to settle himself? My lo fusses before she sleeps, and I lay her down, and leave the room, she fusses and then tends to go to sleep, in five, sometimes 7 minutes. Do u rush in everytime you hear him wake up. What kind of cry is it? Is it more of a mantra cry, or "come get me now" kind of cry? What kind of schedule is he on? What time does he go to bed. When our lo started waking up for an hour at night, a few weeks ago, we tweaked her bedtime a little, and instead of 7, she now goes to bed at 7:30, and slleps thru' the night. Maybe your lo also needs a little less sleep. How does he do for naps?

Let us know, and I'm sure, someone will be able to help.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby