Author Topic: slow let down  (Read 1062 times)

Offline lovingabby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 13, 2005, 10:57:16 am »
Hello,
My dd needs more and more time to get my milk to let down and becomes more and more frustrated. Is there something I can do to help in speeding it up? Or is there something I am possibly not doing right?
Thanks,
Suzanne
Mom to Abigail - spirited, touchy, reflux baby

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
slow let down
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 18:22:36 pm »
Sometimes as my ds gets older, I find myself distracted breastfeeding. I am just not *in* the moment, I'm already thinking about the next task. So I have been trying to have a glass of water a while before I nurse, and when it's time, we sit down, I play with his hair or just think happy memories, and relax. It helps!

If you're still having problems, you could try pumping for your let down and then putting her on. I'm about to get my period, and notice there isn't much milk and a very slow letdown. It will get better in a few days for that reason. Last thought is that slow letdown teaches them patience - LOL - but try explaining that to them!  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline lovingabby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 18:56:24 pm »
thanks...good ideas and I will try them.  My LO will start crying and crying if it doesn't come soon enough and then she won't eat until after her next nap!  She goes on hunger strike I guess ...wish I could teach her patience...she and I would be happier.
Suzanne
Mom to Abigail - spirited, touchy, reflux baby

annamum

slow let down
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 00:12:19 am »
Same was with Anna, she was impatient and if the let-down was too slow, she would just get so wound-up and miserable screaming that she would not feed at all.
What worked for me was to sing a song, a long one, with a very monotonous voice, with many repetitions. I was singing to her when she was upset and she came to enjoy it. When the let-down was slow, I would sing it to her and she would calm down and wait patiently till it came. Hard to do with a spirited baby  :wink:.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
slow let down
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 15:58:44 pm »
I also sing to my dd in these cases - and kiss her fingers - anything to get her attention on me (and me on her!).
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha