Author Topic: Jan/Feb 05 chat - Thread #3  (Read 115817 times)

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
Jan/Feb 05 chat - Thread #3
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2005, 03:42:05 am »
Branwen, forgot to say, I'm not sure about the P&P with Kira Knightly (??) in it, but you can rent the Colin Firth P&P miniseries on DVD (netflix)!
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2005, 07:07:48 am »
hi all - olivia is sick  :cry:  she vomited twice (1 huge one all over living room floor and 1 follow up watery one in her exersaucer) in 30 min this afetrnoon after she got up from her 2nd nap.  i took her to the docs and then realized she had been at daycare yesterday morning and they mentioned gastro was going through staff and kids and were taking precautions... obviously not enough  :evil:  she is not to have solids for 24 hrs and we have to see how she tolerates formula - i just gave her a bottle at 5 instead of dinner and she took 130ml (about 4 oz) and pooped within 20 min.  will see how the night goes and hopefully with lots of handwashing the rest of us won't get it (i remember when alex was 9 mo and we got it from her - poor Dh was way worse than me  :oops: )

we were just getting over the whole crawling messing up sleep thing and now this.  today was the first day in 2 weeks that i have not had to use pat/shh at all  :D  yippee!!

Branwen - the P & P we saw was with Keira Knightly - i liked it but it was too late a show for me (i got to bed at 12 and then was too wired to sleep  :roll:  and was up for ages tossing and turning).  what a tall girl you have!! olivia is a tad  on the short side, especially for her tubby belly and thighs -  :oops:

Schae - i hear you on the heat and no a/c.  yesterday it was 33C (91F) by us - today was a little better but so muggy and then of course it poured!  this time of year is so up and down we never know what we will get from day to day.

Heather - i hope everythikng is OK with the heart murmur - i know nothing about it but it sounds like it will be ok...so think positively

Julieb - i cannot believe that asher is walking.  since alex crawled at 5 mo and did not walk until 14 mo it is beyond my comprehension to have a 9 mo old baby walking around the house.  WOW!

at 8 mo check olivia weighed 9.5 kg (20.9 pounds) and her height is 67cm (26.37 inches) she is 90% for weight but only average for height - oops  :oops:
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2005, 14:55:59 pm »
Schae, that's too bad about the job.  It's definately their loss.  I love the picture of luka standing/crawling also his video of going up the step:)  When it was hot here, I gave emily a cheesecloth blanket so that she still felt cuddled but not hot.

Branwen, your doc sounds odd to me.  Everyone else is encouraging breastfeeding.  Emily still only rolls from tummy to back a couple times a day and doesn't crawl.  But she loves me walking her around the room, kills my back though.

Debra, hope your gastro bug ends quickly.  It sounds like you have a lot of work on your hands with the pat/sh and the sickness.  Hang in there:)

Us, Emily survived her first trip to the grocery store, just barely.  She seems like she adjusted to the time change.  We've had a 6:30 wake up two days in a row, which is my goal cause that's when dh gets up for work.  She loves her toys that make sounds right now.  Dh bought her a little keyboard and she always looks up and smiles at me after she hits a note.

Have a good day/night everyone:) Tarri

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2005, 19:22:55 pm »
Tarri- I just have to ask- why has Emily not been to the store before?  Eirwen LOVES the grocery store- all the colors and lights! I saw your video with the keyboard so fun!

JulieB- I hope you don't mind me sharing this thought but after watching some of Asher's videos I am wondering if he is a gifted child.  I mean I know you won't really be able to tell too much until age 2 or such but have you thought of it? I mean I know all babies are special but some children are just truly gifted.  you should watch for the signs :wink:

Deb- I'm so sorry Olivia is sick and throwing up and not sleeping. Oh gosh, in my current mental state I'm not sure I could handle it!

Today we have constipation and gas problems.  Ugh...very grumpy baby and just when I need to get so much done...yes, poor poor me :lol:
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2005, 19:29:34 pm »
Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes.  That is very interesting to know about your heart murmur, Branwen.  Kelsey's echo won't be until Dec. 9, the first available appointment.
She's crawling "properly" now, but doesn't seem concerned to do it all the time.  I thought she'd be off exploring the whole house by now, but it's like she forgets that she can move now.  Well, maybe that's good for me.  Turns out that both bottom teeth are through, and now she has a cold.  Gosh, I hope she doesn't get as sick as Olivia.  Deb, I hope she gets better soon.
Happy 9 months to Leah & Kelsey!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2005, 19:35:23 pm »
hi ladies,

thank goodness it's the weekend!!!  :D  this week has just seemed sooo long!

branwen -  :shock: your doctor actually SAID that!  what a jerk!  i think you're doing a fantastic job for sticking with bf for so long.  we can be no-crawling buddies - luke's still sitting in one place.  though he is just starting to wiggle his bum a lot - gets him about an inch ahead!   :lol:

schae - too bad about the job.  but that must mean there's something even better waiting for you.  hope you find it soon!  love the pic of luka - that is too funny!   :D

heather - hope everything works out okay.... i think the waiting is the worst part.

debra - yikes!  hope the rest of you stay healthy.

us - had luke's check up yesterday - 29.5 inches, 20 lbs, 14 inches.  (julieb - he definitely feels that heavy!!!  :wink: ) 

i'm not looking forward to next week.  dh leaves for a trip to san francisco early sunday morning and won't be back till late friday night.  2 kids by myself all week!   :shock:  i don't know how some moms do it even more often...  oh well, we shall survive on popcorn for dinner and the house will just have to stay messy!   :lol:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline branwen

« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2005, 20:26:57 pm »
Oh- question-

:?: which of you, and why and how are you, if you are, :lol:  doing the whole beginning potty training thing for 9 monhts?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Jaime

• Administrator
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2005, 20:39:35 pm »
Quote from: branwen
:?: which of you, and why and how are you, if you are, :lol:  doing the whole beginning potty training thing for 9 monhts?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

not us.  i'm trying to get my 2.5 yr old potty trained!!!  and as nice as it would be to not have to buy any more diapers, i just don't see it happening here.   :wink:

hats off and good luck to you if you are trying!  *personally*, i just don't think it's possible - i think the parents are more trained, kwim?  and yes, i suppose you can help them make the association, but... well, i guess that's a whole other debate!!!  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2005, 21:02:01 pm »
ditto - we are trying to gear up to train alex as the weather warms up.  i too think early training is a bit out there.... even at 2 alex does not "get" the whole "i have to pee" thing. her awareness is just starting to pick up.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline julieb

« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2005, 22:05:02 pm »
Branwen: Thanks for the thought and the compliment!  But I really don't think Asher is gifted.   :wink:   Though he may seem advanced in gross motor skills, he's very average (or even a bit behind) in other skills.  I know Einstein didn't talk until he was 3, so who knows, but I'm not holding my breath!  :lol: I really think it is his personality (the spirited in him!).  He's SO much like my DH!  I call him "wiggly giggly."  I honestly think that's why he was so ornry the first few months, he was so frustrated with being stationary!  :lol:

Re: Potty-training...I honestly thought we'd do the training around 2-3 years until I read that section of the book.  It sounds logical in theory.  My mother (and grandmother) trained me & my brother early.  That's what they did back then.  Other countries still do it early as well.  I do notice Asher has a somewhat predictable schedule, so I think it's possible.  DH is intrigued as well.  But we both think it would be much easier after the craziness of the holidays and his first birthday, and if he were walking and communicating better.  So we may try after he turns 1.  I also hope to teach him the sign for potty (and that he learns to sign back).  Right now the signing isn't going as well as I had hoped.

Heather: Asher had a slight murmur at birth.  They made such a big deal out of it at the hospital.  But after a couple days, you could barely hear it.  I thought they said it can take up to two years for those newborn spots to close and it's still considered normal.  I hope it turns out to be something minimal!

:?: For those going into winter (or those who came out of winter), what are dressing your babies in at night and during naps?  I'm having a hard time.  It was 70 last night and Asher was in thin cotton long-sleeved PJs with socks and the thin cotton sleep sack (no sleeves on that).  His arms seemed cold this morning.  At naps, I just put the sleep sack on over his clothes, but he's often wearing short sleeves.  He won't leave a blanket on.  Do you change your babies for naps?  ARGH!  I hate changing clothes all the time!  I'm not sure if I should have him in something long-sleeved and warmer.
Julie

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2005, 00:26:06 am »
Hi all!

Julieb - well, it's been relatively cool here at night for the past few weeks.  I've been dressing Ethan in long-sleeve footed pajamas at night, and he's been totally fine.  I forget what we have the thermostat set for at night, but I think it's around 66 degrees (that would be the setting for the heat to come on - if it gets colder than that).  For naps, yes, I've sort of been changing him, even though it's a total pain.  Basically, I leave him in his pj's until after his morning nap.  We usually don't go anywhere before that, so I just let him crawl around in his pj's.  Then after his am nap, I'll change him into something temp. appropriate.  Lately, for naps, I've been taking off whatever pants he has on, and putting him in little sweats or sweat-like pants.  Or he wears the sweats during the day, and then I don't have to change him.  I can't put him down wearing his corduroys or whatever.  I mean, I wouldn't be comfortable trying to sleep in them!   :)   Of course, dh got up with Ethan this morning, so I got to sleep in, and when I went to get him up from his am nap, he had his overalls on!  I couldn't believe he put him down in that.  Men.   :?  :roll:

Branwen - I totally don't get the early potty training thing.  I just think 9 months is too young.  I can't even imagine trying to do that with Ethan.  I think it's training yourself more than anything.  I mean, you can train early, but 9 months?  No way in my book.  I also heard a medical doctor they interviewed on tv about it say that it's actually physically hard on them to try and sit on a potty, something about their pelvic bones.  I forget what he said exactly, so I may be completely wrong.  Anyway, I do remember all of the moms that I saw on this special about it saying that their kids weren't completely trained until around 2 or so.  So, I really don't want to be potty training for over a year!  If you're going to go for it though - good luck!  I seriously wish you the best in trying!

Oh yeah, and your ped questioning you about breastfeeding?  What's the deal with that?   :?   I personally had issues breastfeeding, so had to go to formula, and I was so paranoid that my ped was going to come down on me for doing that, cause everyone is so pro-b/f.  But she is pretty ok with whatever your choice as a mom is (I know that now).  Anyway, bizarre reaction.  Is it a male thing?  Or just a stupid thing?   :roll:  :wink:

Schae - I'm sorry it's been so hot there lately!  I could not deal without a/c.  I mean, we're in texas, and have 100 degree days here all summer long, but I have a/c!  I couldn't live without it!  Although I did do my share of sweating this summer walking Ethan around in the late afternoon because he was so cranky!  Sorry about the job - let's hope that there is something so great just around the corner, and you can't see it yet!

Heather - I am praying that everything is okay with the heart murmur thing.  I know a lot of people that had one, so let's hope that it's no big deal.  I know it's super stressful to worry about your kiddo's health though, especially when there's nothing you can do about it.

Deb - sorry that you guys are having a round of a bug.  That really stinks, and I hope no one else catches it in your house!

Us - well, Ethan STILL has this stinking cold.  We're in the coughing stage now, but he still has a runny nose at times.  It's been a solid week and a half, and I'm ready for it to be gone already!  Ethan gave it to me, so I've been battling with it, and am to the coughing and almost completely hoarse stage.  I sound like a serial smoker!   :shock:  :wink:   Nothing new with Ethan right now.  His favorite thing is to pull up onto stuff, but he has to have a toy in his hand, so he can chew on it while he's standing against something.  And if the toy falls, or falls to the back of the couch where he can't get it, he starts crying.  So I have to get it for him.  He's very cranky between 6 and 7 now.  That was when we used to go for an evening walk, but now it gets dark at 5:45 or so, so we have to go earlier, which means we're back in the house at the dreaded hour.  I'm sure we'll get a new routine going somewhere, but right now, it's hard!

Well, hope everyone has a fun weekend!

Offline julieb

« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2005, 06:24:16 am »
Totally had a bad mommy moment tonight.  :oops:  :cry:

Asher wakes crying at least once, often more, before 10 or 11 pm every night.  It's kinda how Tammy describes with Ethan.  Usually we can settle him down within a few minutes and he's back to sleep as if nothing happened.  We've never been able to figure out why or how?? 

Well, tonight it was bad and I couldn't get Asher to settle down.  It's probably because of my stress lately.  I've had a bad week, fought with DH earlier, and have been bearing the brunt of EVERYTHING this past week.  My doing, I know, I got an "I don't need you and I'll just do it myself" attitude every since the fight.  To top it off, I'm by myself for the weekend while DH is out of town.  So I got increasingly frustrated (mainly at myself and my inability to solve the problem), started patting him harder than usual and just couldn't keep myself calm.  So I just turned on the light, put him in the crib (practically tossed him in the crib) and left the room.   :oops:   I returned within a couple minutes, but he was just sitting in the middle of the crib, screaming still, all red and blotchy, nose running, puffy eyes.  Poor guy, he's so tired and he doesn't know why he keeps waking up either.

Well, I got him all calmed down and back to bed, though he woke a few more times since.  I was much more patient though, just looking at him falling asleep in my arms as I rocked and sang.  Poor guy.

I think I need to go to counseling.  I don't want to feel like this anymore.

Thanks for letting me vent.  Going to bed now!  Tomorrow will be better!
Julie

Offline Jaime

• Administrator
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2005, 11:41:49 am »
julieb - (((((HUGS)))))

i know that feeling all too well  :oops:  :cry:    probably a good thing that you did leave the room for a couple minutes, before you did anything too crazy.

hope you feel lots better today.

branwen - forgot to mention before - there's a sticky in the potty training forum for an early potty training support group - there are lots of moms who are currently giving it a go
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline branwen

« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2005, 14:22:28 pm »
Julie- we are here for you!  Your message made me so weepy.  You are a wonderful mother.  It sounds like you're under a lot of stress- dh no job, gone, etc.  I'm all for counselling...just to bounce stuff off of someone else.  Did you bring up the night wakings to Asher's ped?  Any ideas there?  Do they just think it is developmental?  Let us know what we can do for you! HUGS!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2005, 15:32:00 pm »
Thought I would quickly post just to let you know we survived our week away with parents and inlaws!  In fact we had lots of fun too.  I haven't really got time to write much here but I will find time hopefully tomorrow.  I have just about caught up with everyone.  Daylight savings hit us BAD.  He decided to continue waking up at about 4.30am the first few nights :shock:   But he is back to about 6am now which is just fine.

Somone asked where we were going on holiday before I went away and I never got round to replying.  We stayed in a tiny village called Littlebeck  near Whitby (on the North East coast of UK)  Considering it was Nov we had great weather.  Couple of wet days but mostly dry and fine. 

Will write more later

Julieb - You are a fantastic mum.  Don't let yourself think anything else!  You are an inspiration to many people.  Praying for you.