Author Topic: Jan/Feb 05 chat - Thread #3  (Read 115842 times)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Jan/Feb 05 chat - Thread #3
« Reply #270 on: November 15, 2005, 02:31:30 am »
julieb - i am in awe of that plate of food - Liv is nowhere near that much.
as far as dinner goes she hates cereal but i will often add some to mashed veg + formula and did this last night so she got about 2 TBS cereal and still only made it to 5:30. i think she just needs something at 9:30 to make it later.  maybe by 1 year old she will eat enough  :roll:  she does take after me in so many ways and i have a fast metabolism (based on how much i eat i should weigh about 200 lbs  :shock:  i eat more than Dh easily) also, whereas Dh seems to be affected by how much he eats from meal to meal so if eats a hge lunch he eats toast for dinner etc, i have to eat all meals i burn them off. so if i eat a huge roast lunch i will still want something for dinner - Dh could live off the meal until the following day  :lol:  so maybe that is the same for her - it does not matter what she eats overall, just what she eats at the end of the day (because the rest is already used up  :?: )
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #271 on: November 15, 2005, 02:35:48 am »
I forgot that I was going to add Ethan's A times currently.  From wakeup to am nap is about 3 hours; wakeup to pm nap is about 3 to 3.25; then awake until bedtime at 7 (sometimes that can be as long as 4 hours if nap #2 is crap!)

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #272 on: November 15, 2005, 13:43:51 pm »
Julieb - Daniel is actually wearing a bib in that photo.  It's a long sleeved bib - our life saver!  The reason he's looking so clean in that shot is because he was just eating chunks of stewed apple.  The plate is not a suctioned one and it has taken a few goes to get him to just leave it on the tray and not pick it up.  But now he's quite good.  He taps it but rarely grabs it.  If he went to grab it we would just say 'no' and move it away.  He soon learned what to do.  If I could have got a photo from his dinner yesterday you'd have seen him wearing most of the food!  So much more fun that way though isn't it?  I have to stop myself from cleaning him up all the time and just let him be messy.
The amount Asher eats - WOW :shock:   It is so good to see the amount though.  Daniel eats about the same (maybe not quite as much) and I am always sooooo worried that he eats too much.  All the advice is to let them have what they want quantity wise isn't it, but to be honest there have been times when I've wondered if he'll ever stop.  I think he'd be quite hapy if one meal just rolled right on into the next.  He eats so much fruit and veg though that I figure that can't really do any harm (Can it?)  I'm wondering if he'll want to eat even more once he starts crawling around.  Help, our food bill is gonna be huge :lol:

Heather - I think I like the red one best. But both are cute.  (Oooh I hope we have a girl next so I can get to buy some cute little dresses.)

Branwen - Daniel does know his name (in fact other people commented on that before I had even realised it :oops: ) but he definitely has moments where he ignores us (if he's busy).  I LOVE the photo of your little flower.  What a cutie.
Also, Daniel much prefers to play on his own.  In fact sometimes when I try to join in with him he starts throwing a tantrum!  I end up feeling like the naughty one.  He's never been a cuddly baby but just recently he's started being a little more generous with his cuddling. I just love bedtime cuddles now.

Christine - Leah looks so sweet doing the army crawl.  There'll be no stopping her now.

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
« Reply #273 on: November 15, 2005, 14:08:24 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm having a rough start today.  Emily was awake at 5:30am.  I tried to get her to sleep but gave up a 6:00.  Then she was super cranky so I thought I'd put her down for a catnap at 7:00...well that was a big NO- NO.  She went into hysterics almost.  So I put her down at 8:45 (our usually nap time) and she put up hysterics again for 10mins but has now gone to sleep.  It seems whenever I try to get her to sleep and she doesn't want to it REALLY backfires on me, it's like she doesn't trust me somehow that she can wake up when she wants to.  Hmmm.

Deb, definately give the top up at 9:30.  This is way better than you getting woken at 5:30 and it's similar to what I do.  And normally it works quite well.  This morning was an exception.

Heather, I like the red one.

Branwen, Eirwen is a super cutie in her flower costume!

Can't write anymore, I'm still fuming from this morning :evil: .  Talk to you later.

Tarri

Offline StrawberryAnnie2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #274 on: November 15, 2005, 14:44:29 pm »
Tarri........HUGS to you. I just read your post. Hannah and I had a rough start to our day too, so I know exactly how you are feeling. Hang in there :)

Joanne

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
« Reply #275 on: November 15, 2005, 17:20:49 pm »
What a night!  :shock:  :roll:   I went out with some friends to celebrate a birthday but had to come home early.  Asher woke 45 minutes after going tobed (as usual lately), but DH couldn't get him to stop crying.  After 45 minutes, he called me all upset and said Asher kept saying mama.  So I told him to just get him up until I got home.  Big mistake!  I was 45 minutes away.  By time I put him to bed the second time, he was SO tired and having a hard time getting past the stage two jolt.  Finally got him down at 10:45 (up for 3 hours by that time), but he only slept for 35 minutes.  I couldn't get him to stop crying and fianlly walking into our room to wake DH, "What should I do?!"  Asher stopped since being distracted by our room.  So DH took him, rocked, and was able to put him down.  I heard him cry out at 4:30 am, then up for the day at 6:00.  I left him in bed until almost 7:00 so we could try to keep our naps around the same times (so hopefully he'd sleep better).  He's currently down for his morning nap 15 min early, and I'm hoping for 2 hours.  He was SO sleepy and mellow this morning, tired, half-closed eyes.  Don't know what it was.  Seperation anxiety?  Makes me nervous for our Disneyland trip if that's how he is when he gets that tired.  I kept hoping he'd just crash, but he was fighting it so much.
I was gonna take a nap, but I drank too much coffee this morning!  :shock:   Today is PJ/sweats day.  I'll nap during his afternoon nap.

Re: Asher's food, well, I guess he really does eat a lot then.   :roll:  Costs a small fortune since we're mainly buying organic.  Before solids, he ate a lot then too, 50~60 oz a day.  So maybe it's just his particular activity level and metabolism?

Christine, I love your videos!!  I love watching everyone's LOs, makes me feel like we're not all so far apart!  Asher still gags on the strips as much as the chunks.  It's just because he stuffs his mouth.  I read about them starting to do strips once they mastered chunks, so that's why I started.  They're easier to pick up as well.  He's pretty good about biting off half.  They're still very ripe and cut thin.

Joanne, the mama moment is so sweet!  I always thought I'd have a tearful first mama moment, but no, he started saying it when he was crying (his tears, not mine!)!   :lol:   Not as magical as I pictured!  :wink:   Oh, and Christmas around here usually starts the day after Halloween.   :lol:   I think the stores often forget Thanksgiving a bit.  I don't mind though cuz we've christmas nuts.  We've been listening to christmas music already!

Deb, Asher hates cereal alone as well, so fruit is always added to it.  From what you say about your metabolism, I'm definitely thinking she needs that DF, it makes so much sense now!

Hazel,  :lol:  I need to find one of those bibs!!  That would be so much easier!!  We jokingly call Asher, "White Trash Baby" at the end of the day because of all the crusted dried food on his clothes!   :lol:  DH gets so embarrased still when we go to the store!  :wink:   Asher also seems like a bottomless pit.  Makes me wonder too.  He has no clear end.  That's why I keep hoping he'll learn to sign "all done" back to me.  I can never tell!  So I usually just end dinner once he's slowing down and we're nearing the end, not picking up his food as fast.  :roll:

Tarri, hope your day gets better.  Sending good thoughts your way!!
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2005, 18:09:21 pm »
I've always said life never gives us more than we can handle, but this is getting ridiculous.  On top of EVERYTHING else, it looks like I have a nursing strike on my hands.  She hasn't nursed since yesterday morning.

Will post more later, but I must get offline as I am waiting for the doctor's office to call.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
« Reply #277 on: November 15, 2005, 19:51:02 pm »
Deborah, yikes!  That's probably the last thing you and Maya need.  Good idea to call the doctor!  I hope she starts gaining weight soon.

Joanne, thanks for the hugs.  I really needed them earlier, but I'm back to my old self again. :D I hope your day is going better too :)

Christine, so far I've got one response from a 12 yr old girl for babysitting.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to tell her she can sit for us in a couple of years.  Also, Emily lost interest in her treasure box so I put all new stuff in it and it kept her busy for another 15mins!

Branwen, I was thinking....Could Eirwen not putting weight on her legs be related to the accident when she fell on her face :?:   I read somewhere that if they hurt themselves doing something that it can take a long time before they try it again.  Food for thought.

Julie, sounds like last night was a nightmare for all of you.  I hope something like that doesn't happen to us when we go to dh's Christmas party.

Us, Luckily, Emily had a SUPER DUPER 2 hr nap this morning, so she has redemmed herself.  And it looks like her afternoon nap should be okay too.  Today we had chicken at lunch.  I just cut it into tiny pieces and mixed it in her cereal.  And she didn't seem to mind.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #278 on: November 15, 2005, 20:16:38 pm »
Tarri - glad things are mellowing out for you.  btw - was it you who was asking about the eczema?  a friend of mine recommended Eucerin intensive care lotion to me... and luke looks amazing!!!  his cheeks almost look normal now, and we're working on his arms. 

Julieb -  :shock: that plate of food - wow!  bet you can't wait for the teenage years!   :wink:  good for him.

Deborah - (((((HUGS)))) it's got to get better.

rhetorical question (maybe!) - why does he sleep 1.5 hrs when i put him down for a nap, but 2.5 hrs when dh does?  :evil:  :roll:  :lol:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2005, 20:21:49 pm »
Tammy-Kelsey eats the sweet potatoes and turkey, and she also likes the apples/chicken and apples/ham.

Pasta-I know to overcook it, but what size do I give her?  Will she mush it between her gums or swallow it?  Knowing her she'll touch it and throw it overboard!  :x
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline julieb

« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2005, 22:14:37 pm »
Deborah, hang in there!!  I'm sure you've been trying everything, but have you ruled out teething?  Orajel, teething tablets, motrin?  Not hungry or taking solids okay?  Change the location of nursing in a quiet, dark, non-stimulating place?  What about when she's sleepy or before the nap?

Heather, I like the spiral pasta best.  Seems to mush better and I'm not paranoid if he tries to swallow it whole.  Also pretty easy to pick up.  I usually have to demonstate eating a new food off his tray before he tries it himself.  Sometimes I even have to feed him the first bite.  I guess if you look at it through their eyes, they don't know if you're handing them a new food or a new toy!  They've never seen it before!  :lol:  Asher seems to copy me fairly well.  Good luck!  Let us know what she thinks!
Julie

Offline Deb_in_oz

« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2005, 22:48:14 pm »
Tarri - sorry about your rought start.  well last night i decided we would give her 4 oz at 9:30 and of course Dh got sidetracked by the news... and at 9:45 she woke crying for food  :shock:  and drained the 4+ oz bottle. wish we had prepared a full bottle now as she still woke early - i woke at 5:45 (i guess after 4 mornings my body now can't relax - i also woke up with a stiff neck and shoulder - tense much ???) she was up by 6 and for a change Dh went to her and tried to resettle which worked and she slept until 6:20 and then woke again.  she drank 150ml (5oz).  i am getting so frustrated and not sure what else to do - don't want to risk WTS since julieb had it backfire some of the time.  can't get any more food into her ... and her formula intake is good. i really cannot get by with the hour - hour and a half less sleep and the past 2 or 3 days i have fallen asleep mid-task/activity (monday i fell asleep watchign oprah during their naptime and yesterday mid story with alex and then in my bed while olivia played on the floor - i woke up and she was holding the plug from Dh's bedside lamp - it was not in the wall anymore  :shock: )

julieb - i always add fruit to her cereal - woudl never dream of plain cereal  :D  last 2 mornings she has eaten about 2-4 TBS cereal/fruit/formula mixture along with her cheerios and banana pieces. i might try to add more cereal into her veggies tonight.

Deborah - i am sorry you and Maya seem to be having a rough time ever since your trip.  i hope the Dr is able to help you out.

Heather - we are just starting pasta here (9 mo recommendation here) and i give small spirals.  alex always ate spirals and penne whole! she woudl inhale them and friends woudl watch in horror - and she had teeth!
i also used to toss in risoni into dishes for alex when she was little (risoni is that pasta that looks like riceif you don't know what i am talking about.  you can just toss in a handful into a dish of veggies and cheese...)

tonight i am making fish for the girls - will be olivia's  first time - hope she likes it (will poach it in milk and butter like i usually do for alex)

Offline julieb

« Reply #282 on: November 15, 2005, 23:19:12 pm »
Deb, I was just thinking, could it be a growth spurt?  Do they have 9 month spurts?  Seems like Asher went through one a bit ago because he surprised me on the height & weight at his check up.  Be patient and try the DF again tonight.  Several people kept telling me to try longer with Asher on moving the bedtime around (and the mornings), things take longer to reset with older babies.  I've managed to move the bedtime to 7 pm for 1.5 weeks now and haven't had him wake before 6 am most days.  And often he goes back to sleep himself until 6:30 ish.  He's always been an early bird, so I think 6:30 is the best I can hope for.  Try to be hopeful and maybe she'll come back around.   :D
Julie

Offline Deb_in_oz

« Reply #283 on: November 15, 2005, 23:24:03 pm »
thank you jlie - had not thought of that - i think they GS at 3,6,9 and 12 months right??? maybe we should go back to the Df for another week if she cannot increase daytime any more. she has been taking her bedtime bottle BEFORE bath again for the past few nights and drowning about 150-180ml (6oz) and then taking another few oz before bed. and wakng hungry last night really threw us for a loop!!

i bet you are right!!! thanks - also all of her GS have occurred the week -10 days prior to the month birthday - this started a week  or so before 9 mo (what a stupid idea to drop DF just as GS starting  :roll: )

Offline diyasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2005, 09:41:00 am »
Hi all
It's been very crazy for us for sometime now! I have been very busy but I am trying to catch up with all of your news. Just thought that I'll post a little bit atleast
Deb: Diya ate so much too for her 9 month growth spurt and stopped eating almost everything after the spurt! So don't worry abt Liv's eating pattern now and try to give her as much formula and solids during the day so that she won't wake up early!
US: Diya is becoming very good in expressing her needs by just saying hey and hmm. She almost yells everytime we do something she doesn't like! She is enjoying other babies company very much now and is becoming very independent(makes me feel sappy)
Branwen: Glad that you are able to sell your house
Deborah: I have read somewhere that babies go on a nursing strike at around 10 months. I believe that you have to just keep offering her every now and then. I am sure that you will be able to find much more help in the BF forum. Hugs to you
Julieb: I can't wait to see Asher's videos after reading so much about it. I keep telling myself that I 'll try to see atleast for a few mins but have been a little busy!
Vidya
Diya 1/25/05 Angel/Textbook and very spirited