Author Topic: Jan/Feb 05 chat - Thread #3  (Read 114834 times)

Offline thitz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
Jan/Feb 05 chat - Thread #3
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2005, 14:42:33 pm »
Hi Everyone,  I just wanted to share our good news, that dh got the job!!!!  He starts work on Monday. 

Tarri

Offline diyasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2005, 14:56:57 pm »
Congrats Tarri! You must be feeling so relieved and happy!
Vidya
Vidya
Diya 1/25/05 Angel/Textbook and very spirited

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2005, 17:15:39 pm »
Congratulations Tarri.  That is great news.  So very happy for you and your dh.

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2005, 17:22:47 pm »
FAB NEWS TARRI! :D
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2005, 17:40:10 pm »
Well, Asher is awake after just a short morning nap!  :roll:   So this will be short!

Wake to sleep didn't work so well this morning.  He woke 15 min after I did it, snoozed some, and then woke every 15 minutes until 7 am!   :shock:   I'm tired, but finding the new coffee mate pumpkin spice favored creamer makes me a very happy girl despite!  :lol:

Vidya: WTS, you rustle them just a bit an hour before the habitual wake time.  Just enough to disturb their sleep cycles.  Would you share your steamed rice cakes recipe with me?  I've been trying to figure out how to get my rice to stick together so I can give it as a finger food.

Routine:
7 wake & BF
8 solids
9:30 nap
11 wake & BF one side only
12 solids
2~2:15 (been extending) nap
3~3:30 wake & BF other side (he's been having major problems with short afternoon naps, but used to be 1.5 hours before the teething marathon)
4:30~5 solids
6 BF
6:30 bed

Not envying any of you with daylight savings times!  We're one of the few states that doesn't do it!  :wink:
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2005, 18:46:31 pm »
YAY TARRI!!!!!   :D  :D  :D

julieb - really?!  no daylight savings?  nice!  though i always like the long summer days.  something about sunshine makes me happy - guess it's good i don't live up north in the land of winter!!   :lol:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Toronto, Canada (I'm back baby!)
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2005, 19:29:36 pm »
Tarri - Congrats to dh! 

Jaime - I must say, you are lucky.  The winter is just around the corner and it's tough getting Kinlagh dressed up in her jackets, hats and mitts.  Although I must say I can't wait to get her in her Robeez boots.  They're so cute!

JulieB - I'm not looking forward to the time change but from what I've read, it's not as difficult as we think.  Fingers crossed.  BTW, our routines are so similar.

Vidya -  We're in a bit of a transition because of age (9 mths tomorrow) and also because we're trying to get back on track after the standing and her cold.  But here's where we were.

7am wake
7:30 bottle
8:00 breakfast
9:30 nap (til 10:30 or 11)
11:30 bottle
12:00 lunch
1:30 nap (til 2:30 or 3) - but right now working on making this a 2pm nap
3:30 bottle
4:00 or 4:30 supper
6:00 bath
7:00 bottle
7-7:30 bed - depends on the daytime naps

Question - Kinlagh is really starting to take to finger foods, but she's also still taking 32oz formula per day (4 x 8oz).  I read that in the early days of starting solids that they should be taken after the bottle.  But does anyone know when is a good time to have solids before bottle?
Michelle

Proud mommy to Kinlagh Emilie
Born 19/01/2005

Offline E&J's mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2005, 19:43:19 pm »
Michelle: I am in Corner Brook, opposite coast of St  John's but I went to university there. We love visiting there.

Christine: Erin does have beautiful hair and we thought it would be curly, both dh and I have curly hair. And with those blue eyes I think she will be a heartbreaker when she hits her teenage years!

Tarri: Congrats on dh's job! It is frustrating while you are waiting for that call. That's great!

Us: Well, Jordan has slept through the night for the last 2 nights and I hope it is not a fluke. FIL is visiting and shares a room with him and he stirs around midnight when he goes to bed and then settles again so I am not sure if that is doing the job or if he is finally ready. But I did do something I hadn't planned on. I gave him back his pacifier for sleep. I took it away 2 months ago hoping he would start sleeping all night and he started waking more often. He never figured out how to self-soothe, which is likely because we rushed in too soon, and I finally reached the end of my rope. We used to have a heck of a time getting him to sleep. Now, after only 4 days I can usually put him in his crib awake and as long as he has had sufficient wind down time he will fall alseep on his own. So, that's not so bad is it? Funny how sleep deprivation alters your decision making process. Well, I will deal with taking it away again sometime but for now I am enjoying the less stressful bedtimes  :D .

Anyway, Jordan is having a short catnap now so it is time to start dinner.

Joanne

Offline diyasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2005, 19:45:34 pm »
julieb: This is the recipe for steamed rice cakes. I don't know if you will be able to find the ingredient urad dal. It is a lentil and it is available in Indian grocery stores.
Rice: 3 cups
Urad dal: 1 cup
Soak both of them for 3 hours in water and blend it with not too much water until you get a paste which shouldn't be too watery or too thick.You could do this overnight. On the next day(It gets fermented overnight), pour this batter into a plate or cup and steam it(plate or cup should be rubbed with 2-3 drops of oil). You could add a little bit of salt to this batter if you want.
If this is too much work, try cooking rice very soft till it becomes starchy and then you could mash it with a big wooden spoon and then you can make it into small balls like sushi rice balls(KWIM)??!!.
I was also thinking that you could make pancakes with rice flour without adding eggs(if you have not started asher with eggs). Are you holding off wheat for sometime? If that is the case, I am not able to think of another flour which you could substitute for wheat flour/flour. You could probably try millet flour??!!.
We make rice pancakes again with the first recipe's batter. I hope that you would be able to find an international grocery store for that. If you have any questions, please ask me.
Vidya
Vidya

Offline diyasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2005, 19:54:29 pm »
julieb: I forgot to write how I steam it.
Take a pot filled with a cup and a half of water and put the cup with batter in it and then close it with a lid which will have a small hole or close the lid with just a little bit of space for the steam to be vented. If you have a pressure cooker, fill that with water and put this plate/cup with batter in it. Make sure that the vent of the pressure cooker's lid is not closed(otherwise it will become all mushy)
Sorry if I  made it sound very hard. It is really simple if you have all the ingredients and utensils:)
Vidya
Vidya

Offline sissy16

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2005, 20:45:06 pm »
Hi all, I too used to read some of the old thread but never participated so thought I'd say hi now a new one has been set up.

A bit about me - My name is Sarah and I am 27, I live in Northampton England with my dh (married for 2 yrs) and Joseph, 9 months next week). Things are all well with us except the usual teeth, night waking, learning to pull up and crawl scenarios. Joseph mastered crawling last Fri and is slowly becoming a pro and loves to try and pull up on everything although he is short for his age so can't reach a lot of things - bless him.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and sharing problems /  ideas / achievements. Speak soon.

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2005, 21:12:44 pm »
Sarah - so nice to see a fellow UKer!  Our sons must be very similar in age. 

Michelle - I started giving Daniel his solids before his bottle quite a while ago.  As far as I could work out it's really just to make sure they take the correct amount of milk rather than filling up on solids first.  Daniel has always been willing to eat everything and anything put before him  :oops:  so it never proved to be a problem. If Kinlagh eats well I don't think it would be a problem changing them over.

Us - we are dong ok although Daniel is definitely teething again :evil:   He actually cried during dinner today (a first!) and didn't really want to finish his food.  That's when we know something is really up.  His left cheek was glowing all day and sooooo hot.  He's gone down alright tonight though and slept great so far so lets hope he stays asleep all night. 
The last few nights he's ended up turning 180 degrees in his cot, but sometimes wakes up halfway round when his head gets stuck on the bars!  Don't suppose there's anything we can do to stop this though.  Hopefully he'll sort himself out.
No crawling yet although, boy, does he want to now!  He is getting so frustrated at not being able to reach for stuff.  It's hard not to try to 'make' them crawl.  I know he'll do it when he's physically ready but sometimes it'slike I want to give him crawling lessons!

I'm off to bed now. See ya

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2005, 04:51:10 am »
welcome Joanne and Sarah

Tammy - Olivia is not doing finger foods - i have been trying for a couple of weeks.  she will let me put cheerios in her mouth and sometimes little pieces of fruit, but she will not put it in her mouth. she barely plays with it but does not even try to bring it to her mouth.

Vidya - you are welcome - i am so glad that my suggestion helped.  i do think you shoudl follow her lead if she is happy with 1 breast at the feeds. (i shoud take my own advice  :oops:  and relax about olivia's intake).  i know that some people on this site push BF until 1 year as the main source of food, but here in Oz afetr 6 months there is a clear reduction over that last 6 months and itis important that by 9 months or so solids are firmly established as meals (they are not just "tasting" food until 12 mo as some would imply)  that last quarter of the year is for increased amounts and changes in textures etc so i do think if she is not taking much solids (at least 2-4 oz x 3 meals - and can be as much as 6-9oz x 3) i woudl cut back the BF to 4 good feeds over time. she will have 4 good quality feeds and the net effect won't be as dramatic as you are thinking (ie not losing 2 whole feeds, you just can't see how much milk she is taking but sh might be spreading it out more now because she knows she gets 6 KWIM?)

Tarri - I am so happy for you - ecstatic!! wish him good luck and congratulations from me!

Jaime- i don't think it is a boy thing - i am thinking it is a second child thing though!  i feel such guilt every day for how different my parenting is now whereas i feel i did such a good job with alex, i have not introduced as many foods to olivia, don't do as many activities because it is harder with 2, alex watches too much TV/DVDs (and Liv watches along with her  :oops: ) but my mom said to me this morning that they will get there no matter what and not to worry and compare - we are doing a good enough job and the kids will be different of their own accord and due to different situations, but they will benefit in so many other ways...

Michelle - we have done lunch solids before bottle for ages now and did try to do breakfast solids first to see if that helped her but no better so went back to bottle first.  in Oz the rec. is by 9 mo to switch to solids first.  she always had dinner solids at 5 and bottle at 7 as well. HTH

Us - had a bad day yesterday but today is a bit better.  am still very tired but we are happy that we have been weaning off DF and are at 150ml at 9:30pm now and no night waking (slept to 7 first few days and 6:40 today)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline herbst99

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2005, 08:17:30 am »
Quote (selected)
we are happy that we have been weaning off DF and are at 150ml at 9:30pm now and no night waking (slept to 7 first few days and 6:40 today)
I am so happy for you - but I don't think we are gonna be so lucky - We have had wakings NIGHTLTY for the last 2 weeks - anything from 2-5 wakings at random times(5 last night was REALLY the worst and I have some sort of bug so NOT TO HAPPY today!!) We are not giving any bottles after 7:00 now ...
Is there anything else we can do?? Lise is REALLY getting enough to eat - 3 bottles of 200ml each and 1 with 225ml of formula & 3 solid meals - 4 tablespoons at breakfast, lunch and dinner. so at a loss!!!

Any suggestions would be appretiated re this waking issue!!
Nikki - Mom of Lise and Cara

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2005, 09:06:55 am »
Nikki - i would say you have 2 angles to look at
1) is it hunger - if so increase her solids.  every baby is different, Alex at this age was eating 6-9 oz per solids meal + 4 BF; Olivia when sheis on the 4 bottles (she said with fear) won't take as much as Lise (except bedtime bottle) but we hope as DF goes, they will increase (currently she is taking only a token amount at 3:30pm so we are struggling)

2) if it is not hunger look at how her day is going - if she is only getting short naps she is probably overtired = nightwakings; if she is struggling from last nap until bedtime = overtired too; is there anything developmental going on - can't remember what things she is up to right now = crawling? standing in cot?  etc (did not open a separate windown so can't go back to your earlier posts)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified