Author Topic: 11 month old wakes every hour!!  (Read 1385 times)

Offline summerlh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 month old wakes every hour!!
« on: October 13, 2005, 14:32:49 pm »
My baby Grace is a pretty easy baby... but until two weeks ago she always slept with me and some where in there I stared always nursing her to sleep... so we have made some progress with pu/pd. She is now in her own bed and goes with out much argument. She also is no longer nursed to sleep. But some how she just cannot resettle on her own. Twice now she has slept about a three hour stretch in the beging of the night, but once she wakes, its everyhour from then on. I cant imagine what we are doing to make night time appealing... is this just going to take a bit longer since she is so old and there are so many transitions??
   Any help is sooo welcome!

Offline mango_baby

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 16:56:47 pm »
Hi

When I started PD at 11 months, my baby was about the same, except didn't even have that 3 hour streach in the beginning of the night !
I finally couldn't take it anymore so I started PD.
It has taken a long time. I have a spirited LO and it seems to me that all the accidental parenting coupled with the age, it takes a long time.
You are right when you attribute it to age. They have had 11 months of reinforcing these behaviors from us. So, it going to take a bit of time. Longer depending on the temperment of your baby. I was doing nothing exciting when he woke up either. Now he does not even come out of his crib, (unless he is having a night terror and I need to comfort him-but he goes right back in). Nevertheless he still often wakes up. I think when he realized he still is not getting what he wants when he wakes up (even though it's been 3 months) that makes him upset.
Is she getting enough food in the day?
Is she on EASY?
 Hang in ther and be persistant, consistant and patient in the night in terms of PD so she knows night is night in her crib. Is she in her own crib? You mentioned laying with her to nurse her to sleep.
 let me know if that helps,

melissa

Offline summerlh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 00:30:09 am »
It seems that she is getting enough food... we have recently bumped up her solid intake a lot. And now we are doing formula more. I could probably get in one more feeding since she wants to eat about 2am. But it seems to me she is just using that as a crutch to get to fall asleep that way agian. She is in her own bed now and that is a pat on the back in its self. She seems to know that our bed is not an option anymore and goes down pretty well in her crib, where as befor the sight of it made her upset. I think your right... its just about age... is it right to pick her up at night... I was just reading that this may make it harder for her to go down. I am wondering if that is some of the appeal. We are doing easy now... but last week we were not. I let her sleep when she seemed tired, which was probably to late. But her schedule has not changed much.. I think she put her self on EASY along time ago.. I am just respecting it more now. Thanks for your response.. its nice to know there are others out there dealing with the same issues! :)

Offline mango_baby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 03:37:30 am »
Hi

It sounds like your doing a great job.
At the 2 am wake ( mine wakes sometimes at 3am) just comfort her in her crib. Lay your hand on her back, say shhhhh. Whatever calms her back to sleep. But when you pick her up though you're rewarding her waking up.
Now it is supposed to work that if you don't reinforce the wake up in any way they will eventually realize that it isn't woth waking up for nothing. I say "supposed to work" because my little one still gets up and he isn't rewarded with anything.
let me know how things are going.it seems like you are on the way, you have made a lot of changes in the right direction.

melissa

Offline summerlh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 20:18:20 pm »
Thanks Melissa-
    I see what you are saying.... she did really well last night. She acutally went back to sleep before we got in there about 3 times last night. So it just keeps on improving!! :) At the 2am I did just that... I had to pick her up the first time, she was really upset cuz we had waited a while to get in there to see if she would sleep on her own, but after the inatial pick up I just kept her in the crib, she was only fussing so I thought that was fine. It took about a half an hour, but that is better than the hour it usally takes after trying to nurse her. (I did not nurse her last night) It is going soo well!! I am really excited! Even if down the road she is still getting up two times a night. That is what she did in my bed at least!  And now she is in her own safe bed!! Hurray! I hopw your little one will soon be sleeping well. It a good thing we are doing, and good things are not always easy. thanks soo much for all of your tips and wisdom!

Offline mango_baby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 22:13:44 pm »
Happy to help :D
I hope things only get better for you. It sounds like they are already.
Just remember to be consistant and she'll get the hang of it.

Wishing you many sleep filled nights. Things can only get better,

Melissa

feel free to pm me if anything ever comes up