Author Topic: Amount of waketime for 7 week old  (Read 1459 times)

Offline bneydgrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Amount of waketime for 7 week old
« on: October 13, 2005, 18:02:39 pm »
Trying to get my daughter on a 2.5 hour EASY (7 weeks old).  Sometimes it seems that she is getting tired after only 45 minutes of being up...so we start the soothing routine and she's taking her nap about an hour after being up.  Then she only sleeps for 40-45 minutes.  I will try and soothe her again to get her to take another nap in the same timeframe - sometimes it works, sometimes not. 

What am I doing wrong?  Am I putting her down too early?

Thanks for any help
Rebecca
Rebecca

Ella - 8.26.05

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 19:07:35 pm »
You're not doing anything wrong!  Good job on catching the sleepy cues early--it took me until about 9 weeks to realize my son was tired after only 45 min. of waking.  The 40-45 minute nap is normal at this age.  If you read around, you'll find that babies don't figure out day sleep until 3-6 months.  If you can get her back down great, if not, get her up for a little activity and put her down again at the next sleepy cue.  I know it cuts into your time--wouldn't it be nice to have a 2-hour nap break!--but just let her get the sleep she needs when she needs it.  She'll figure out longer naps when she can start staying up longer. 
Hope that helps!
Melissa
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 22:48:39 pm »
i agree with Melissa - you are doing great! it was at 7 weeks that i realized my lo was not giving any tired signs and i started putting her down at 45 min - i was grateful that she started napping finally.  you are doing it exactly right - if she wakes after 45 min at this age i would try for at least 20 min to resettle her (this is where the sleep training begins) use pat/shh and stay with her and see if you can teach her that it is still sleepytime.  if she is hungry and that is why she is awake, then go ahead with "E" and then after some more A put her down again.

i found that at 2-3 mo my lo was awake 45 min and her naps ranged from 45 min - 2hr 15 (usually had 1 long, 2 x 45 and 1 x ???)

Keep up the great work and enjoy your lo
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline bneydgrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 00:54:37 am »
Thanks ladies -- that makes me feel soo much better.  I thought I or my sweet girl was missing the boat somewhere by not getting in these great long naps to fill up the 'S' time :)

when did your LO's figure out naps -- on the short side of 3 mo or long side -- more like 6?
Rebecca

Ella - 8.26.05

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 06:18:05 am »
My first was definitely on the long side.  She didn't take good long naps in her crib until she was close to 6 months.  Of course, she was addicted to sleeping in her swing--that's a hard habit to break!  Now I'm just excited that my youngest will sleep in his crib at all!  He's about 3 months and has figured out the longer morning nap (about 1 1/2 hrs).  The rest are sporadic in times and length.  I know it will get there, though!
Keep up the good work!
Melissa
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er