Author Topic: When do you drop clusterfeed?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline kate585

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
When do you drop clusterfeed?
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:18:33 am »
Hello! 
I have been breastfeeding my ds at:  7, 11, 3, 5-ish, 7-ish.  He usually eats 10-25 minutes, so he's getting a fair amount.  (Don't know exactly how much as pumping doesn't seem to yield anywhere near what he gets from me...he's quite the Hoover!)
He also eats 3 meals of solids a day.  My ped. suggested giving him a few ounces of water at every meal (his standard advice at 7 mos.), but he HATES it.  So, we'll work on that. 
Not sure if it matters, but he takes the catnap about 75% of the time.
The question is:  When do I drop the clusterfeed?  I've been sort of skipping the 5:00 feed some, since he seems to be too full for his solids and last feed before bed if he has a full feed then.  Is that okay?  Will he still get enough milk? 
 TIA!!!
Kate,

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 15:50:36 pm »
My feeling is that it would be ok to drop the clusterfeed.  He might start eating a bit more milk at the other feeds during the day.  If he starts waking at night, then you might need to reconsider, but I think 4 good feeds a day of milk should be enough.  Just make sure he doesn't fill up on the solids, but it looks like you do the milk first anyway (7 am before solid bkfast, 11 before solid lunch, 3 before supper, and then 2 hrs-ish? before bedtime milk).  Sound about right?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 13:44:38 pm »
Thanks!  Yes, I always to the milk before the solids.  I think I knew it was okay to drop the feed...it's always just nice to have someone who's done it before say it's okay.   First time mom and all that.  :)
Thanks again!!!
Kate,