Author Topic: 5.5mth old waking on/off and getting up 5am ??!  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Jordan's Mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5.5mth old waking on/off and getting up 5am ??!
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:29:36 am »
Hi there, my name is Emma I am in New Zealand and my son Jordan is 5.5mths. After reading the book we were on to a good thing, he would sleep from 7pm ish til 7am ish, always getting in around 12 hrs sleep a night. He goes to bed between 7.30/8pm, For the last week he has been waking at 2/3/4am ( I will pop his dummy back in his mouth and he will go back to sleep) and then he only sleeps til 5am when he wakes up hungry. I will give him a bottle then he will go straight back to sleep for about 1.5/2hours. He has  around 2 sometimes 3 good naps during the day, from 1-1.5/2hrs, and I have tried topping up each feed but he will never take more than 240mls at a time. He has solids ( baby rice in morning and small jar at night time veggies etc). ( He doesnt seem to be teething have taken him to Dr) Is he having a growth spurt? To me it seems like he has got himself into a new pattern? He doesnt seem grumpy or unsettled and I havent done anything that I know of to get into this pattern, I can't seem to get back on the right track does anyone have ANY advice/opinions/ideas as I am exhausted! Thanks!!

Offline cashar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Don't know if this will help
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 02:08:18 am »
Hi Emma

My name is Cas, I am an Aussie with a half kiwi hubby (not really relavant) just some info.

Anyway I don't know if this helps but my lo who is now 6mths really started having disrupted sleep and especially day sleeps when he was about 5 1/2mths.

I eventually worked out it was developmental (ie: rolling over, more mobile etc).

It has settled down a little now  :roll:   that he can get back over from his tummy.

Just a thought, let me know if you think this could be an issue.

Cas
Proud Mum to 'spirited' Harrison

Offline Jordan's Mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 07:02:29 am »
Hi cas nice to get your reply :) yes i think it could possibly be that...  I just hope it sorts itself out soon! I thought it was a growth spurt but it has actually developed into a PATTERN now it has been over a week so Im getting fed up with it!  Thanks for your reply again :)

Offline cashar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 23:33:57 pm »
Hi Emma

Frustration, yes I know it well. I constantly hear myself saying, 'Whatever phase, good or bad, will pass'. It took H probably a good couple of weeks to settle his sleeps down again.

I found swaddling his legs to stop him moving so much during the day sleeps stopped him from getting onto his belly as much.

Hope things are improving.

Cas

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 23:41:43 pm »
Hi -  Just a thought but maybe the problem is that the dummy has become a prop and it wakes him up when it falls out.  Thus it would make sense that he would go right back to sleep once you popped it back in.  Maybe check out the "props" board as I am sure there is lots of advice about weaning from the dummy if you think this might be the issue.  Good luck to you!