Author Topic: Shovels it in like he's going to a fire!  (Read 1483 times)

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
Shovels it in like he's going to a fire!
« on: October 14, 2005, 03:31:03 am »
I've been giving my LO more and more finger foods.  He loves them!  He's willing to eat things as a finger food that he wasn't off a spoon (avocado, rice, etc).  But he shovels it in like it were his last meal on earth!  He stuffs his mouth full, gags, all the while whining for more!  I've tried giving him several pieces at once or just a few, but he still stuffs his mouth just as fast.  Is it possible to teach him to slow down?  Should I just limit the number of pieces I give at one time?  I'm nervous about choking.  Sometimes he hardly chews before he swallows so he can fit another piece in his mouth!  :shock:
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline alligirl

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 12:08:00 pm »
My lo's the same way, I've never seen a child eat like mine does!

I would just put a few pieces on his tray (few enough that if he shoves it all in, he wouldn't choke, or you could quickly pull it all out).  And then just let him whine for more until the first bites are all gone.  I think you can just be patient and he'll settle down soon.  Finger foods are still fun and novel to him right now.  Once they become "every day" he won't feel the need to act like it's his last meal and someone's trying to take it. :wink:
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 12:40:37 pm »
Julieb, I just watched your video clips of Asher shoveling in his food  :lol:   He is exactly the same as Daniel.  I used to just give Daniel the odd bit of finger food to practice with but now I do give him more of a 'meal' of finger foods.  He does the same where he puts it all in and then starts to gag.  I also just put a few pieces on his tray so he can't really choke even if he puts it all in.  He tried some mango yesterday.  Started shoveling it all in before he'd even really tasted it.  His face was a picture when he actually took a breath to taste what he was putting in his mouth! :lol:  :lol:   Don't think he really likes the stuff.

If he's not choked up to this point I don't think it should be a problem.  As long as everything you give him is soft I reckon he'll be fine.

Personally I reckon its a boy thing (I know Daniel takes after his dad when it comes to eating)

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 14:11:11 pm »
julie no advice since my ds is way younger, but just wanted to say i saw the video clips too - TOO CUTE! i can't wait for ds to be at that stage. well without the choking part  :wink: and the "mamama" clip is adorable!
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05

Offline bheemeryck

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 02:44:01 am »
Hi Julie- Our lo's are almost the same age- I can't get over the similarities, I watched some of your videos and Alex does the exact same thing eating!! Even sounds similar! I have been giving him just one peice at a time, once in awhile I try more, but the same thing happens. I have friends that say they get the hang of it one day, but until then , eating is still a very labour intensive process!!! :D
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)