Author Topic: CONSTANTLY rolling over and now standing up in crib!!!  (Read 1029 times)

Offline JECsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
CONSTANTLY rolling over and now standing up in crib!!!
« on: October 14, 2005, 14:38:36 pm »
I really can't remember when all this rolling over started. It must have been when DS was 6 months (he is 8.5mo now). Basically he forgot the skill of rolling over from front to back but could get it the other way no problem.  So there I was helping him get back on his back or side many times during the night and before bedtime/naptime. Now we are dealing with standing up in his crib and crawling. He can get back down sometimes, but sometimes not.
What will happen that's the most furstrating is I will soothe him in his crib and it seems like he's off into dream land and then he'll wake up and roll over, get in a crawl position, and then try to stand up. Then he's awake!! Then it is many more minutes of waiting for him to get back to sleep. in the middle of the night it is really hard on me.  The past couple nights I just got him out of his crib and BFed him. I'm just so tired!
Another frustrating thing is when he's in his crib trying to fall asleep he is constantly doing this stuff and it takes forever for him to fall asleep.
He gets upset when I put him down or roll him back over, but I kind of feel like he's doing for my attention. But if I don't do it, I feel like he'll never fall asleep. Most of the time when he's standing or crawling in his crib he's smiling and trying to catch my eye. I often just leave the room at that point and go back in when he starts to cry/fuss.
We are working on sitting back down after standing, but this just seems like one more way for him to fight sleep and not a matter of learning to sit down.
Any suggestions???

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 03:58:57 am »
It's definitely a developmental phase, and usually things will get back on track after a few weeks.  You will need to make sure you're not making any changes to your routine in the meantime though, otherwise you'll need to work on those as well.   Does he respond to being patted back to sleep in the night?  I know it's tiring, but it would be the better option long term rather than him learning to rely on bfing back to sleep. 

Work on sitting him back down and rolling during A time while in his cot, so he gets used to the perimeter of the cot and how to move around in it in the dark.  Does he have a lovey of some sort to snuggle up to in the night?

Definitely remain responding to him in the night, but do keep minimum eye contact and interaction.   You're doing great by leaving him when he's happy and returning as the fussing starts up.

HTH

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 07:49:59 am »
Ditto the last post, it is a phase and it will pass.
I know its hard on you but try to to feed him in the night, or he'll start to expect it.
Are you going in as soon as he wakes or does he cry out for you?
Kimberley